Change of Variable With Legendre Equation

In summary: I will definitely be using this in the future.In summary, the conversation discusses changing the independent variable in the Legendre equation from x to θ by using the substitution x=cosθ. The resulting equation is given as (d^2/dθ^2)+cotθ(dy/dθ)+2y=0. The questioner initially has a question about a possible missing factor of 2 in front of the cotθ term, but it is determined that the problem lies in a calculation error involving the product rule. The expert provides guidance on how to correctly differentiate the result for y', ultimately leading to the correct answer. The conversation ends with the questioner expressing gratitude and asking for guidance on how to type derivatives clearly, to which the
Bassa

Homework Statement

[/B]
Change the independent variable from x to θ by x=cosθ and show that the Legendre equation

(1-x^2)(d^2y/dx^2)-2x(dy/dx)+2y=0

becomes

(d^2/dθ^2)+cotθ(dy/dθ)+2y=0

2. Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I did get the exact form of what the equation should become, but I had a 2 in front of the cotθ term. I was wondering if the answer that the book provides is missing a factor of 2 in front of the cotθ term?

Physics news on Phys.org
No, there shouldn't be a "2" factor there.

MisterX said:
No, there shouldn't be a "2" factor there.

Thank you very much for your reply! I have spend many an hour trying to figure out where the 2 goes, but that was to to avail. I have the following:

(dy/dx)=(dy/dθ)(-1/sqrt (1-x^2))=(dy/dθ)(-1)(sin(θ))^(-1)

Can you please direct me to where I went wrong on the above statement?

Thanks!

The problem lies elsewhere. Show your calculation of ##(1-x^2)y''##.

vela said:
The problem lies elsewhere. Show your calculation of ##(1-x^2)y''##.

Thanks for your reply! Here is my calculation for (1-x^2)y'':

(d^2y/dx^2) = (d^2y/dθ^2)(1-x^2)^(-1) = (d^2y/dθ^2)(1-(cosθ)^2)^(-1)

(1-x^2)y'' = (1-(cosθ)^2)(d^2y/dθ^2)(1-(cosθ)^2)^(-1) = (d^2y/dθ^2)

Differentiate the result you got for y'.
$$\frac{d^2}{dx^2}y = \frac{d}{dx} y' = -\csc\theta \frac{d}{d\theta} y' = -\csc\theta \frac{d}{d\theta} \left(-\csc\theta \frac{dy}{d\theta}\right)$$ You need to use the product rule.

vela said:
$$\frac{d^2}{dx^2}y = \frac{d}{dx} y' = -\csc\theta \frac{d}{d\theta} y' = -\csc\theta \frac{d}{d\theta} \left(-\csc\theta \frac{dy}{d\theta}\right)$$ You need to use the product rule.

I do have that in my solution and it leads to the earlier reply I posted. It also leads to the correct first term of the right answer. Is the following correct?

-csc(θ)(d/dθ)[y] = (cscθ)^2(d^2y/dθ^2)

vela said:

I do have that in my solution and it leads to the earlier reply I posted. It also leads to the correct first term of the right answer. Is the following correct?

-csc(θ)(d/dθ)[y] = (cscθ)^2(d^2y/dθ^2)

No, that's not correct. As I noted earlier, you have to use the product rule. The ##d/d\theta## on the left acts on everything to its right.

vela said:
No, that's not correct. As I noted earlier, you have to use the product rule. The ##d/d\theta## on the left acts on everything to its right.

Thank you very much! Sorry for the late reply, but I had to sleep on it. It worked perfectly fine! I was inventing my own incorrect rules for calculus, and that did not work very well!

P.S. I was wondering how you were able to type those derivatives very clearly. It is much more clear than having slashes and asterisks?

Thanks a lot!

1. What is the Legendre equation?

The Legendre equation is a second-order differential equation that is commonly used in physics and mathematics to describe the behavior of various systems, such as oscillations and waves. It is named after the French mathematician Adrien-Marie Legendre, who first studied its properties.

2. How is the change of variable used in the Legendre equation?

The change of variable is used to transform the Legendre equation into a simpler form, known as the canonical form. This allows for easier solution and analysis of the equation. The most commonly used change of variable is the substitution u = cosθ, which transforms the Legendre equation into the associated Legendre equation.

3. What is the significance of the Legendre equation in physics?

The Legendre equation is significant in physics because it arises in many physical systems, such as the behavior of electric and magnetic fields and the motion of celestial bodies. It is also used in quantum mechanics to describe the behavior of particles in a potential field.

4. What are the boundary conditions for solving the Legendre equation?

The boundary conditions for solving the Legendre equation depend on the type of solution being sought. For the associated Legendre equation, the boundary conditions are u(±1) = finite, while for the Legendre equation itself, the boundary conditions are P(x) is finite at x = ±1 and P'(x) is finite at x = ±1.

5. Are there any real-life applications of the Legendre equation?

Yes, the Legendre equation has many real-life applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and mathematics. It is used to model and analyze various systems, such as electromagnetic fields, vibrations in structures, and the motion of planets. The associated Legendre equation is also used in statistics to calculate spherical harmonics, which are used to analyze patterns on a sphere.