Change of Variables in Multple Integrals

In summary: Now, I think I am starting to get it. I think I am having a conceptual misunderstanding of thesituation at hand! I am elated that you pointed out how I flipped the sign. Here is the reasonwhy I flipped the sign:y \leq 1 => u - v \leq 1 => u \leq 1 + v (correct answer: u \leq 1 - v)Can you tell me why this would not work?
number0

Homework Statement

Let D be the region y [tex]\leq[/tex] x [tex]\leq[/tex] 1 and 0 [tex]\leq[/tex] y [tex]\leq[/tex] 1.

Find the boundaries of the integration for the change of variables u and v, if:

x = u + v and y = u-v.

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

I solved for u and for v in terms of x and y.

u = [tex]\frac{x+y}{2}[/tex]

v = [tex]\frac{x-y}{2}[/tex]

Then I got stuck.

The book answer's is:

v [tex]\leq[/tex] u [tex]\leq[/tex] 1-v and 0 [tex]\leq[/tex] v [tex]\leq[/tex] 1/2Can anyone show me how to figure this problem out without any reference to graphing (just

pure algebraic)?

Physics news on Phys.org
number0 said:

Homework Statement

Let D be the region y [tex]\leq[/tex] x [tex]\leq[/tex] 1 and 0 [tex]\leq[/tex] y [tex]\leq[/tex] 1.

Find the boundaries of the integration for the change of variables u and v, if:

x = u + v and y = u-v.

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

I solved for u and for v in terms of x and y.

u = [tex]\frac{x+y}{2}[/tex]

v = [tex]\frac{x-y}{2}[/tex]

Then I got stuck.

The book answer's is:

v [tex]\leq[/tex] u [tex]\leq[/tex] 1-v and 0 [tex]\leq[/tex] v [tex]\leq[/tex] 1/2Can anyone show me how to figure this problem out without any reference to graphing (just
pure algebraic)?
Why do you guys always like to make things more difficult for yourself by refusing to draw a picture?

Just rewrite the boundaries of D in terms of u and v. For example,

[tex]y \le x \Rightarrow u-v \le u+v \Rightarrow 0 \le 2v \Rightarrow v \ge 0[/tex]

vela said:
Why do you guys always like to make things more difficult for yourself by refusing to draw a picture?

Just rewrite the boundaries of D in terms of u and v. For example,

[tex]y \le x \Rightarrow u-v \le u+v \Rightarrow 0 \le 2v \Rightarrow v \ge 0[/tex]

Well, I did that part already. However, how is it possible to get v [tex]\leq[/tex] 1/2 (the

book's answer). For example,

x [tex]\leq[/tex] 1 => u + v [tex]\leq[/tex] 1 => v [tex]\leq[/tex] 1 - u

Which is supposedly not equivalent to v [tex]\leq[/tex] 1/2

How would you go about solving the other ones (v [tex]\leq[/tex] u [tex]\leq[/tex] v-1) ?

You need to do the third side of D, y≥0. When you combine it with what you got for x≤1, you can get that upper limit for v.

vela said:
You need to do the third side of D, y≥0. When you combine it with what you got for x≤1, you can get that upper limit for v.

Okay, can you explain it a bit more. Sorry about being unknown about what you mean, but I

think if I finally understand what you are trying to say, I can finally get this problem correct.

y≥0 translates to u≥v, and x≤1 gave you u≤1-v. Combining those, you get v≤u≤1-v. (You almost had this above, but you flipped a sign.) You can't have v=1, for instance, because you'd get 1≤u≤0. What restriction on v must exist for those inequalities to be satisfied?

vela said:
y≥0 translates to u≥v, and x≤1 gave you u≤1-v. Combining those, you get v≤u≤1-v. (You almost had this above, but you flipped a sign.) You can't have v=1, for instance, because you'd get 1≤u≤0. What restriction on v must exist for those inequalities to be satisfied?

Now, I think I am starting to get it. I think I am having a conceptual misunderstanding of the

situation at hand! I am elated that you pointed out how I flipped the sign. Here is the reason

why I flipped the sign:

y [tex]\leq[/tex] 1 => u - v [tex]\leq[/tex] 1 => u [tex]\leq[/tex] 1 + v (correct answer: u [tex]\leq[/tex] 1 - v)

Can you tell me why this would not work?

That is valid, but it doesn't help much. Another constraint gave you v≥0, so if u≤1-v holds, u≤1+v automatically holds as well.

1. What is a change of variables in multiple integrals?

A change of variables in multiple integrals is a technique used to transform a double or triple integral from one set of coordinates to another. This is often done in order to simplify the integral and make it easier to evaluate.

2. Why is a change of variables useful in multiple integrals?

A change of variables allows us to convert a complicated integral into a simpler form that can be easily evaluated. It can also help us to visualize and understand the geometric properties of the region being integrated over.

3. What are the steps for performing a change of variables in multiple integrals?

The steps for performing a change of variables in multiple integrals are as follows: 1. Determine the new coordinates, usually denoted as u and v. 2. Express the original coordinates (x and y or x, y, and z) in terms of u and v. 3. Calculate the Jacobian determinant of the transformation. 4. Rewrite the integral in terms of u and v. 5. Evaluate the integral over the new region in terms of u and v.

4. What is the Jacobian determinant in a change of variables?

The Jacobian determinant is a mathematical concept used to measure how changes in one set of variables affect another set of variables. In a change of variables in multiple integrals, the Jacobian determinant is used to convert the original integral to one in terms of the new coordinates.

5. Can any integral be simplified using a change of variables?

No, not all integrals can be simplified using a change of variables. It depends on the complexity of the integral and the chosen transformation. In some cases, a change of variables may actually make the integral more complicated. It is important to carefully choose the transformation in order to simplify the integral.