1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Change of Variables in Multple Integrals

1. Jul 11, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let D be the region y [tex]\leq[/tex] x [tex]\leq[/tex] 1 and 0 [tex]\leq[/tex] y [tex]\leq[/tex] 1.

Find the boundaries of the integration for the change of variables u and v, if:

x = u + v and y = u-v.

2. Relevant equations

None

3. The attempt at a solution

I solved for u and for v in terms of x and y.

u = [tex]\frac{x+y}{2}[/tex]

v = [tex]\frac{x-y}{2}[/tex]

Then I got stuck.

The book answer's is:

v [tex]\leq[/tex] u [tex]\leq[/tex] 1-v and 0 [tex]\leq[/tex] v [tex]\leq[/tex] 1/2

Can anyone show me how to figure this problem out without any reference to graphing (just

pure algebraic)?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 11, 2010 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Why do you guys always like to make things more difficult for yourself by refusing to draw a picture?

Just rewrite the boundaries of D in terms of u and v. For example,

[tex]y \le x \Rightarrow u-v \le u+v \Rightarrow 0 \le 2v \Rightarrow v \ge 0[/tex]

4. Jul 11, 2010 #3
    Well, I did that part already. However, how is it possible to get v [tex]\leq[/tex] 1/2 (the

book's answer). For example,

x [tex]\leq[/tex] 1 => u + v [tex]\leq[/tex] 1 => v [tex]\leq[/tex] 1 - u

Which is supposedly not equivalent to v [tex]\leq[/tex] 1/2

How would you go about solving the other ones (v [tex]\leq[/tex] u [tex]\leq[/tex] v-1) ?

5. Jul 11, 2010 #4

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

You need to do the third side of D, y≥0. When you combine it with what you got for x≤1, you can get that upper limit for v.

6. Jul 11, 2010 #5
    Okay, can you explain it a bit more. Sorry about being unknown about what you mean, but I

think if I finally understand what you are trying to say, I can finally get this problem correct.

7. Jul 11, 2010 #6

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

y≥0 translates to u≥v, and x≤1 gave you u≤1-v. Combining those, you get v≤u≤1-v. (You almost had this above, but you flipped a sign.) You can't have v=1, for instance, because you'd get 1≤u≤0. What restriction on v must exist for those inequalities to be satisfied?

8. Jul 11, 2010 #7
    Now, I think I am starting to get it. I think I am having a conceptual misunderstanding of the

situation at hand! I am elated that you pointed out how I flipped the sign. Here is the reason

why I flipped the sign:

y [tex]\leq[/tex] 1 => u - v [tex]\leq[/tex] 1 => u [tex]\leq[/tex] 1 + v (correct answer: u [tex]\leq[/tex] 1 - v)

Can you tell me why this would not work?

9. Jul 11, 2010 #8

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

That is valid, but it doesn't help much. Another constraint gave you v≥0, so if u≤1-v holds, u≤1+v automatically holds as well.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook