Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Change of Variables in Multple Integrals

1. Jul 11, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let D be the region y [tex]\leq[/tex] x [tex]\leq[/tex] 1 and 0 [tex]\leq[/tex] y [tex]\leq[/tex] 1.

Find the boundaries of the integration for the change of variables u and v, if:

x = u + v and y = u-v.

2. Relevant equations

None

3. The attempt at a solution

I solved for u and for v in terms of x and y.

u = [tex]\frac{x+y}{2}[/tex]

v = [tex]\frac{x-y}{2}[/tex]

Then I got stuck.

The book answer's is:

v [tex]\leq[/tex] u [tex]\leq[/tex] 1-v and 0 [tex]\leq[/tex] v [tex]\leq[/tex] 1/2

Can anyone show me how to figure this problem out without any reference to graphing (just

pure algebraic)?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 11, 2010 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Why do you guys always like to make things more difficult for yourself by refusing to draw a picture?

Just rewrite the boundaries of D in terms of u and v. For example,

[tex]y \le x \Rightarrow u-v \le u+v \Rightarrow 0 \le 2v \Rightarrow v \ge 0[/tex]

4. Jul 11, 2010 #3
    Well, I did that part already. However, how is it possible to get v [tex]\leq[/tex] 1/2 (the

book's answer). For example,

x [tex]\leq[/tex] 1 => u + v [tex]\leq[/tex] 1 => v [tex]\leq[/tex] 1 - u

Which is supposedly not equivalent to v [tex]\leq[/tex] 1/2

How would you go about solving the other ones (v [tex]\leq[/tex] u [tex]\leq[/tex] v-1) ?

5. Jul 11, 2010 #4

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

You need to do the third side of D, y≥0. When you combine it with what you got for x≤1, you can get that upper limit for v.

6. Jul 11, 2010 #5
    Okay, can you explain it a bit more. Sorry about being unknown about what you mean, but I

think if I finally understand what you are trying to say, I can finally get this problem correct.

7. Jul 11, 2010 #6

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

y≥0 translates to u≥v, and x≤1 gave you u≤1-v. Combining those, you get v≤u≤1-v. (You almost had this above, but you flipped a sign.) You can't have v=1, for instance, because you'd get 1≤u≤0. What restriction on v must exist for those inequalities to be satisfied?

8. Jul 11, 2010 #7
    Now, I think I am starting to get it. I think I am having a conceptual misunderstanding of the

situation at hand! I am elated that you pointed out how I flipped the sign. Here is the reason

why I flipped the sign:

y [tex]\leq[/tex] 1 => u - v [tex]\leq[/tex] 1 => u [tex]\leq[/tex] 1 + v (correct answer: u [tex]\leq[/tex] 1 - v)

Can you tell me why this would not work?

9. Jul 11, 2010 #8

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

That is valid, but it doesn't help much. Another constraint gave you v≥0, so if u≤1-v holds, u≤1+v automatically holds as well.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook