Change of vector in different frames

In summary, the text is talking about one vector, the position vector from the origin of S to point P, and saying that the rate of change of this vector is the same in both frames S and S'.
aim1732
I just read this in a text:
The rate of change of a vector with respect to a fixed frame is same as that with respect to a frame in translation.
But supposing it were a position vector then rate of change(velocity that is) is different in different frames translating with respect to each other(that is why we have relative velocities). Now I am obviously missing a point but can not pinpoint the error in my logic.

Physics news on Phys.org
But do you agree that if you, standing by the side of the road, see the velocity of a car change by 10 m/s, then so will I, sitting in another moving car ?

We will not agree on the relative velocity, but we will agree on the change in velocity. This continues to hold if you look at instantaneous changes.

Have you have any calculus yet? If so: suppose that there is a relative (constant) velocity u. Then you can easily see mathematically that the two velocity vectors v and v + u have the same time derivative.

We do not agree on relative velocity,right? But velocity itself is rate of change of position vector so rate of change in position vector is different in different frames?

I think the text is wrong.

In that case the source happens to be Beer and Johnston.

aim1732 said:
I just read this in a text:
The rate of change of a vector with respect to a fixed frame is same as that with respect to a frame in translation.
But supposing it were a position vector then rate of change(velocity that is) is different in different frames translating with respect to each other(that is why we have relative velocities). Now I am obviously missing a point but can not pinpoint the error in my logic.
Say you have two frames, S and S', with S' moving with constant velocity relative to S, and a point P. The position vectors (to point P) you're talking about are two different vectors. One goes from the origin of S to point P, and the other goes from the origin of S' to point P. Obviously, the rate of change for those two vectors, though related, aren't going to be the same.

The text is talking about just one vector, say the one going from the origin of S to point P. If you were in S, you'd call the rate of change of this vector the velocity of point P. If you were in S', you'd say it's the velocity of P relative to S. The text just means that those two quantities are the same.

Say instead you had two frames R and R' whose origins coincide but one rotates relative to the other, and say point P is at rest in R. The same vector r connects the origin to the point P in either frame, but in frame R', the point P appears to move. So you have dr/dt=0 in R while dr/dt≠0 in R'. Non-translational motion of R' relative to R causes the rates of change to differ.

Thanks.That makes a lot of sense.

1. What is a change of vector in different frames?

A change of vector in different frames refers to the transformation of a vector from one coordinate system to another. This is necessary when analyzing motion or forces in different reference frames.

2. Why is a change of vector in different frames important in science?

In science, studying the behavior of objects in motion or under the influence of forces often requires analyzing them in different reference frames. A change of vector allows scientists to accurately compare and understand the behavior of these objects in different frames.

3. How is a change of vector in different frames calculated?

A change of vector is calculated using a mathematical process called vector addition. This involves breaking down the vector into its components and then adding or subtracting them based on the transformation between the two frames.

4. What are some real-life applications of a change of vector in different frames?

A change of vector is used in many fields of science and engineering, including mechanics, physics, and astronomy. It is also essential in navigation systems, such as GPS, where objects are tracked in different frames of reference.

5. Can a change of vector in different frames affect the final outcome of an experiment?

Yes, a change of vector can significantly impact the results of an experiment. If the transformation between frames is not properly accounted for, it can lead to errors in calculations and misinterpretation of data. Therefore, it is crucial to accurately perform a change of vector when analyzing experimental data.