New Forum Changes - What Do You Think?

• Thread starter tionis
  • Start date
In summary, I don't like the new changes to the forum. For example, you can't tell who replied to a thread, or how many views it has etc unless you're logged in. The thumbs up I don't care for. I'd would rather see who replied and stuff. If it's to make it more mobile friendly so it doesn't take up too much space in your screen then I guess is OK. But for some reason I enjoy knowing who replied to a thread before I click on it.
Greg Bernhardt said:
I still need to play with some things...
Yeah, I just knew you'd been playing with yourself again.

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Physics news on Phys.org
As I mentioned in post #25, I did like being able to see on my PC how many views a posting has. This was previously found in the listing of all the posts for a section. I think it is now absent completely in the new format.

Charles Link said:
I think it is now absent completely in the new format.
Indeed as I thought total likes was a more important metric than views. One is a value stat the other is neutral stat.

Greg Bernhardt said:
Indeed as I thought total likes was a more important ...
Knowing how much time you spend in front of a computer monitor, I know PF will always be at the peak of social forum's trends. :bow:

Likes Greg Bernhardt
phinds said:
Yeah, I just knew you'd been playing with yourself again.
Well, that explains the glasses ! [COLOR=#black]...[/COLOR]:oldlaugh:

1.jpg

Greg, I really like the new format in each of the forums but I am deeply distressed that it does not show up when you click on "New Posts". That's my automatic way of looking at the forum so now I never see the number of responses and I do not at all like having that gone.

I don't care that much one way or the other about the # of likes but I do appreciate your adding it. I also don't care at all about the number of views. BUT ... I care a lot about the number of responses (maybe it's a personal quirk) and since the "New Posts" is my default way of looking at the forum and since it is now gone from there, I'm not a happy camper.

Likes mfb and beamie564
Greg Bernhardt said:
I can fix it on Sunday
Excellent. Thank you. It's nice to see the forum god working on a Sunday :smile:

Just to add my vote, I do like to know the number of replies. If I don't notice a thread before it's got a lot ('lot' varies with my mood, say 20+) of replies, I'm not going to join in unless I'm really interested in the topic because I'd have to read through all of them if I wanted to comment. Maybe just an indication of when it gets onto the second page would be enough? So long as I can scroll back to check what people are talking about I'm OK. When it gets to the third page and I'm not sure whether to skip back to p.1 or 2 to check a comment, then I need a bit of motivation to keep at it.

And I have a (maybe totally wrong) feeling that for many threads by 20 posts, either the thread has gone off topic, or the OP was so unclear that no one actually knows what it's about.

Likes mfb
Merlin3189 said:
And I have a (maybe totally wrong) feeling that for many threads by 20 posts, either the thread has gone off topic, or the OP was so unclear that no one actually knows what it's about.
I used to think that and I do find it true sometimes but other times, it turns out it's a long interesting discussion (for me anyway).

You're right, of course. But it is probably more so for you clever guys. There aren't many topics, that I understand, which could sensibly go on for very long!
I did once try to follow one of Jim's on transformers that went on past 300 posts. But I think they had lost me even before they scored the first century.

Likes Joppy
More often than not, threads with a high number of replies are awesome. The same could be said for a high number of views. Don't know how this new thumbs up system works, though. When I go to the list and try to click on the green thumb up icon, it does nothing. My guess is that it counts the number of likes individual posts received.

tionis said:
My guess is that it counts the number of likes individual posts received.
That is exactly what it does, the sum of likes received for all posts.

Likes tionis
Greg Bernhardt said:
This has been fixed but I need to correct some column issues.
You are a man of your word. It's starting to look good. Thanks

Likes dlgoff
I'm not sure what all you did, but my issue of not being able to scroll in the edit box has gone away.

Likes Greg Bernhardt