Changing 3 input or gates into 2 input xnor gates

• Thread starter lalosfire
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Input
In summary: Then DeMorgan back to an .= (x'.y')'And remove the double inverters= x'.y'This is sometimes helpful in proofs.In summary, the conversation discusses simplifying the equation a'b'c'+a'bc+ab'c+abc' using only 2-input XNOR gates. The first equation (a'(b'c'+bc)+a(b'c+bc')) is not in the correct form, but can be simplified by recognizing that the first part is already an XNOR. The second equation (a'(b'c'+bc) + a[(b'+c
lalosfire
Realize (a'b'c'+a'bc+ab'c+abc') using only 2-input x-nor gates.

I've taken a shot at this, however I'm only able to but it into more or gates.
a'(b'c'+bc)+a(b'c+bc')
a'[(b'+c)(b+c')]+a[(b'+c')(b+c)]
a'(b'c+bc')+a(b'c'+bc)
That's where I got, however it's really no simpler and I doubt is even close to being on the right track.

Physics news on Phys.org
It's not far off.

Your first equation is...

a'(b'c'+bc)+a(b'c+bc') ......(1)

Then you seem to have missed that the first part on the left is in the right form for an XNOR.

An XNOR performs the function (x'y'+xy) so perhaps leave the bit a'(b'c'+bc) alone. That would make your second equation...

a'(b'c'+bc) + a[(b'+c')(b+c)] ......(2)

Now over to you to have another go. Leave the left hand side alone.

Aside:

I've found it helpful to remember DeMorgans rule as "split/join the bar and change the sign" also remembering that adding two inverters in series has no effect.

For example to manipulate x.y you can do the following steps..

x.y

Invert twice..

= (x.y)''

then split the lower bar and change the . to +

= (x'+y')'

1. How can I change a 3-input OR gate into a 2-input XNOR gate?

To change a 3-input OR gate into a 2-input XNOR gate, you can use De Morgan's laws. First, invert the output of the OR gate using a NOT gate. Then, use two of the three inputs of the OR gate as inputs for the XNOR gate. This will give you a 2-input XNOR gate with the same functionality as the 3-input OR gate.

2. Why would I want to change an OR gate to an XNOR gate?

An XNOR gate is the opposite of an XOR gate, which is commonly used in digital circuits for exclusive logic operations. XNOR gates are useful for implementing functions such as equivalence and equality checking. Additionally, using a 2-input XNOR gate instead of a 3-input OR gate can save space in a circuit design.

3. Can I change any 3-input gate into a 2-input XNOR gate?

No, not all 3-input gates can be changed into 2-input XNOR gates. The input and output logic levels of the gate must be compatible with those of the XNOR gate. For example, an AND gate cannot be changed into an XNOR gate because its output logic level is inverted compared to an XNOR gate.

4. How does changing an OR gate to an XNOR gate affect the circuit's performance?

Changing an OR gate to an XNOR gate does not significantly affect the circuit's performance, as both gates have similar propagation delays. However, using an XNOR gate may reduce the number of gates needed in a circuit, which can improve overall performance and reduce power consumption.

5. Is it possible to create a 2-input XNOR gate using only passive components?

No, it is not possible to create a 2-input XNOR gate using only passive components. XNOR gates require the use of active components, such as transistors, to perform logical operations. Passive components, such as resistors and capacitors, can only modify and manipulate signals but cannot perform logical operations on their own.