Solving a Differential Equation: dy/dt to f(y,t)

In summary, the conversation discusses changing the form of a differential equation from dy/dt to f(y,t) and applying the Euler method to solve for y(x). The specific equations and parameters mentioned include y' = y - t^2 + 1, y' = -0.6*pi*r^2*sqrt(2g)*sqrt(y)/A(y), and A(y) as a function of t. The goal is to rewrite the equation in a form suitable for applying the Euler method.
coolxal
How do you change the form of a differential equation from dy/dt to f(y,t)? So if I had dy/dx = y/A(y) + 1 where A(y) is the area of a cross section of a conical base.

Physics news on Phys.org
What are you asking exactly? Are you trying to solve your differential equation for y(x)?

To apply the Euler method, I'm given an equation of the form y' = y - t^2 + 1, 0 <= t <=2, y(0) = 0.5 and f(y,t) = y'. I set h = (b-a)/N where N is the number of iterations and h is the step size. t = a, w = y(0) then I loop w = w + h*f(t,w), t = a + i*h N times.

I'm trying to change an equation of the form (water flow rate) [tex]y' = -0.6*\pi*r^2\sqrt{2g}\frac{\sqrt{y}}{A(y)}[/tex] where r = 0.1 the radius of the orifice, g = 32, y(0) = 8, initial volume = 512(pi/3), A(y) is the area of the cross section of the tank x units above the orifice, into a form f(y,t) so I can apply the Euler method.

I think A(y) is supposed to be t but I don't know how to rewrite it to become t.

y=y(t), so A(y)=A(y(t)) is a function of t.

What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is an equation that relates a function to its derivatives. It describes the relationship between a function and its rate of change.

Why is it important to solve differential equations?

Differential equations are used to model many real-world phenomena, such as population growth, chemical reactions, and electrical circuits. Solving them allows us to make predictions and understand the behavior of these systems.

What is dy/dt?

dy/dt is the notation for the derivative of a function y with respect to the independent variable t. It represents the instantaneous rate of change of y with respect to t.

How do you solve a differential equation?

The specific method for solving a differential equation depends on its type and order. Some common techniques include separation of variables, substitution, and using integrating factors. It is important to also use initial or boundary conditions to find the specific solution.

What is the significance of f(y,t) in solving a differential equation?

f(y,t) represents the function that relates the derivative dy/dt to the variables y and t. It is typically given in the form of an expression or an equation and is used to solve for the values of y and t that satisfy the differential equation.