Changing Velocities: Acceleration or Deceleration?

• Thread starter Prototype44
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses whether a set of velocities changing correspond to acceleration or deceleration. The example of +4m/s - +5m/s is considered acceleration in the same direction, while -5m/s - 7m/s is considered acceleration in the negative direction. The unit for velocity is m/s, not acceleration. The question remains unclear about whether the values are in m/s or m/s^2 and whether they represent deceleration, acceleration, or a combination of both.
Prototype44

Homework Statement

I need to know if these set of velocities changing correspond to acceleration or
deceleration?

-0.9m/s - +4m/s
+4m/s-4.5m/s

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I think that

+4m/s-+5m/s is considered acceleration in the same direction
-5m/s-7m/s is considered acceleration in the negative direction

My chemistry told me that it the first example would be an example of a deceleration then an acceleration due to it becoming zero and then accelerating to +4m/sec and that the same idea applies to the second example.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
m/s (which is Metres per second) is the unit for Velocity not acceleration.

I don't know about everybody else, but personally I am not sure what your asking :confused:

lets say those were in m/sec^2, would they be deceleration, acceleration or a combination of both?

1. How does changing velocity affect an object's motion?

Changing velocity can either speed up or slow down an object's motion. When an object's velocity increases, it will cover more distance in the same amount of time, resulting in a faster motion. On the other hand, when an object's velocity decreases, it will cover less distance in the same amount of time, resulting in a slower motion.

2. What is the difference between speed and velocity?

Speed is a measure of how fast an object is moving, while velocity is a measure of how fast an object is moving in a specific direction. This means that two objects can have the same speed but different velocities if they are moving in different directions.

3. How can we change an object's velocity?

An object's velocity can be changed by applying a force to it. This force can either increase or decrease the object's speed or change its direction. For example, pushing a ball will increase its velocity, while friction can decrease its velocity.

4. What is acceleration and how does it relate to changing velocities?

Acceleration is the rate at which an object's velocity changes over time. It can be caused by a change in speed, direction, or both. This means that changing velocities can result in acceleration, either positive (speeding up) or negative (slowing down).

5. What is the equation for calculating velocity?

The equation for calculating velocity is velocity = distance / time. This means that an object's velocity can be determined by dividing the distance it has traveled by the time it took to cover that distance. The unit for velocity is meters per second (m/s).