I almost gave up too quick... That whole RHS reduces dramatically by applying the sum difference formulas:
$$ \frac{d \theta }{dx} = a \sin \beta \cos \theta $$
I can get a little further:
$$ \ln \left| \frac{ \sec \theta + \tan \theta }{ \sec \theta_o + \tan \theta_o} \right| = a \sin \beta ( x - x_o ) $$
$$ \sec \theta + \tan \theta = \left( \sec \theta_o + \tan \theta_o \right) e^{ a \sin \beta ( x - x_o ) }$$
Then let ##A## = RHS and multiply through by ## \cos \theta##:
$$ 1 + \sin \theta = A \cos \theta \implies 1 + \sqrt{1 - \cos^2 \theta} = A \cos \theta $$
That becomes:
$$ \cos \theta \left( \left( A^2 + 1 \right)\cos \theta - 2 A \right) = 0 $$
It should follow that ( ignoring solution ##\theta = 90^{\circ}##:
$$ \cos \theta = \frac{2A}{A^2 + 1} $$
Then we can say that:
$$ \tan \theta = \frac{ \sqrt{ (A^2 + 1)^2 - 4A^2}}{2A }$$
Now, we are back to where I was before.
Theoretically, you could then plug that into (1) and integrate to get ##y(x)##.
$$ y(x) = \int dy = \int \frac{\sqrt{ (A^2 + 1)^2 - 4A^2} }{2A} dx $$
Where A is given by:
$$ A = \left( \sec \theta_o + \tan \theta_o \right) e^{ a \sin \beta ( x - x_o ) } $$
I thought it was kaput, until I noticed the difference of squares under the radical:
$$ \begin{aligned} y(x) &= \int \frac{\sqrt{ ( (A^2 + 1) - 2A )( (A^2 + 1) + 2A) } }{2A} dx \\ \quad \\ &= \int \frac{\sqrt{ (A-1)^2 ( A+1)^2 }}{2A} dx \\ \quad \\ &= \int \frac{A-1}{2A} dx +\int \frac{A+1}{2A} dx \end{aligned}$$
Surely this is a complete blunder...I'm getting that:
$$ \int \frac{A-1}{2A} dx +\int \frac{A+1}{2A} dx = \int dx = x-x_o $$
What...
$$ y(x) = x - x_o$$
??
