Chaplygin gas,physics,cosmology

• Thread starter kptsilva
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about the unification of dark energy and dark matter through the Chaplygin gas equation. The person is asking for help in understanding this model and provides a research paper for reference. They are specifically having trouble with plotting a graph and solving equation 36, and are seeking clarification on the number of boundary conditions needed for this second order partial differential equation.
kptsilva
Hey guys,

I learning about the unification of dark energy and dark matter via chaplygin gas equation. Can anyone help me understand this model? here is a research paper.

arxiv.org/pdf/gr-qc/0202064v2.pdf

Thank you

Space news on Phys.org
Can you be more specific? What part don't you get?

I'm having trouble in plotting the graph b/b(a_eq) vs. a (eq 36) since they've only given one boundary condition. I've taken another b.c to be b(a_eq)=1, but the correct plots are not obtained

The equation is linear in b, so b/b(a_eq) should be independent of the initial condition. You are calculating something wrong.

ya,but how do i solve the equation 36 without 2 boundary conditions? (since it is a second order pde)

1. What is Chaplygin gas?

Chaplygin gas is a theoretical form of matter in physics, proposed by Russian physicist Sergei Chaplygin in 1904. It is described as a perfect fluid with an equation of state that allows for negative pressure, which differs from traditional forms of matter such as gas, liquid, and solid.

2. How does Chaplygin gas relate to cosmology?

Chaplygin gas is often studied in the context of cosmology, specifically in relation to dark energy and the accelerating expansion of the universe. It has been proposed as a possible explanation for the observed accelerated expansion, and has been studied in various cosmological models.

3. What are the properties of Chaplygin gas?

Chaplygin gas is characterized by its negative pressure, which is believed to be responsible for its ability to drive the accelerated expansion of the universe. It also has a constant energy density, and its equation of state is described by the Chaplygin gas parameter, which determines its behavior in different cosmological models.

4. How is Chaplygin gas different from traditional forms of matter?

Unlike traditional forms of matter, Chaplygin gas has a negative pressure, which is believed to be responsible for its repulsive gravitational effect and ability to drive the accelerated expansion of the universe. It also has a constant energy density, rather than varying with temperature and pressure like gas, liquid, and solid.

5. What are the current theories and research surrounding Chaplygin gas?

Chaplygin gas is still a subject of ongoing research in the fields of cosmology and theoretical physics. Some theories propose that it could be the source of dark energy, while others suggest it may have other applications in cosmology and astrophysics. Further studies and experiments are needed to fully understand the properties and potential of Chaplygin gas.