1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Characteristic equation with x^2 coefficient

1. Nov 27, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

x2 d2y/dx2 + 3x dy/dx + 5y = g(x)

2. Relevant equations
    How do we find Characteristic equation for it.

3. The attempt at a solution

x2λ2 + 3xλ + 5 = 0
    λ1 = 1/2 [-x2 + √ (x4 + 20 ) ]
    λ2 = 1/2[ -x2 - √(x4 + 20) ]

I used 1/3 -/+ a √(a2 + 4b)
    where
    a = x2
    b = 5

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 27, 2017 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

If memory serves, the characteristic equation applies to the related nonhomogeneous DE -- ##x^2 y'' + 3x y' + 5y = 0##.
    This is an example of an 2nd order Euler equation. One technique is to assume a solution of the form ##y = x^n##, and substitute it into the DE. For your nonhomogeneous equation, it depends on what g(x) is.
    See https://www.math24.net/second-order-euler-equation/
    I have no idea what you're doing here.

4. Nov 27, 2017 #3

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Forget characteristic equations: they do not apply in this problem. They are for constant coefficient linear DEs, but your DE has coefficients that are functions of ##x##.

5. Nov 27, 2017 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

The old saying applies here: "If the only tool you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail."
    As Ray said (and I forgot), characteristic equations are applicable only to constant coefficient linear differential equations, and specifically to homogeneous DEs of that type.

6. Nov 28, 2017 #5
    If you need a quick reference, the method is called cauchy-euler (I think this is the name). There is also an equivalent form using a log, worth it to know both versions. t I believe you can also use Frobineous Method, due to the analytical point. Its been years since I solved a differential equation.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted