Charge, Current & Power Homework Statement

In summary, the next generation smart phone will be powered by a 3.82V battery that can deliver 1.81A of current for one hour. The phone automatically turns off when the battery has less than 2% of charge remaining. To calculate the amount of charge that can be delivered by the battery, one must use the equation Q=IT, where I is the current and T is the time. The phone will lose power after 98% of the charge, or 6385.68C, has been passed. According to Ohm's Law, the energy consumed, P, is equal to IV. In an idle state, the phone uses 70mW of power, and it will take approximately
BoanviaFx

Homework Statement

Can someone please confirm if I answered correctly?

Question: According to rumours the next generation smart phone will be powered by a 3.82V battery that can deliver 1.81A of current for one hour. The phone automatically turns off when the battery has less than 2% of charge remaining.

i) Calculate the amount of charge that can be delivered by the battery.
ii) How much charge has passed before the phone loses power?
iii) Show that if a charge Q is transferred across a p.d V, the energy consumed is equal to QV.
iv) In an idle state the phone uses a constant 70mW of power. How many days will pass before the phone loses power completely?
v) The majority of components inside a smart phone are made up of semiconducting material. Briefly explain how the electrical conductivity of an intrinsic semiconductor increases as the temperature rises.
vi) Explain the origin of holes in intrinsic semiconducting materials and explain the process by which holes participate in current flow.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i) Solution: I=Q/T Q=IT Q=(1.81*60*60)= 6516C

ii) 100%-2% = 98%
6516*0.98= 6385.68C

iii) P=IV = (1.81*3.82) = 6.9142W
Calculating Charge at 1 second:
I=Q/T Q=IT (1.81*1) = 1.81C
Therefore P=QV = (1.81*3.82) = 6.9142W

iv) P=IV I=P/V I=70mW/3.82V = 0.0183A
Therefore charge every second = 0.0183C
Total time = 6516C/0.0183C = 356065.6s
356065.6/3600 = 98.9 hours.

v) Upon temperature rise, valence electrons gain energy and break free becoming free electrons. The more free electrons the greater the conductivity. The semiconductor is known as negative temperature coefficient. Temperature rises and resistance decreases. Since resistance decreases so does the resistivity. Conductivity is the reciprocal of resistivity therefore conductivity will increase.

vi) When the atom has absence of electrons it means it has a hole. Therefore the atom would lack any free electrons, this would will result in no current flow making it an insulator.

Physics news on Phys.org
(iii) the energy consumed is E=VIt assuming that the current is constant. By replacing I=Q/t you have E=QV.

(vi) I think you understood it wrong, holes behave as current carriers like the free electrons. A P-type semiconductor has holes as the current carriers while a N-type has free electrons .

Oh my bad, yes you are right. Holes travel the opposite direction from a higher potential to a lower potential. They too help with conductivity. Delta thank you for correcting my mistakes this helps me a lot. :)

What is charge?

Charge refers to the fundamental property of matter that causes it to experience a force when placed in an electromagnetic field. It can be positive or negative, and is measured in units of Coulombs (C).

What is current?

Current is the rate of flow of electric charge in a circuit. It is measured in units of Amperes (A) and is represented by the symbol "I".

What is power?

Power is the rate at which energy is transferred or converted. In the context of electricity, it is the rate at which electric energy is consumed or supplied. It is measured in units of Watts (W) and is represented by the symbol "P".

What is the relationship between charge and current?

The relationship between charge and current is described by Ohm's Law, which states that the current (I) flowing through a conductor is directly proportional to the voltage (V) applied, and inversely proportional to the resistance (R) of the conductor. This can be represented by the formula I = V/R.

What is the relationship between current and power?

The relationship between current and power is described by Joule's Law, which states that the power (P) dissipated in a resistor is directly proportional to the square of the current (I) flowing through it, and the resistance (R) of the resistor. This can be represented by the formula P = I^2 * R.