Charge Distribution on Metallic Plates

In summary, four identical metallic plates of area A are separated by a distance d as shown in the figure. Plate 2 is given a charge Q, while plates 1 and 4 are both earthed. The question is whether the outer surfaces of plates 1 and 4 will have zero charge on them. Using the fact that the earthed surfaces have zero potential, we can calculate the net potential due to all plates at that point and equate it to zero to determine the charge distribution.
surajkaul

Homework Statement

Four identical metallic plates, each of area A, are seprated by a
distance d as showen in the Figure. Plate 2 is given a charge Q. Plates 1 and 4 Both are earthed.

Homework Equations

• Charge Distribution i.e. Charge on each Plate and On each Side of the Plate.
  • Will the Outer Surface(Earthed Surface) of the Plates 1 and 4 be having Zero Charge on Them.

The Attempt at a Solution

I really Could not figure out as the Earthed Plates are Confusing Me. I have done similar question where the None of the Plates are Earthed. I tried to start on the same Lines, But ended up confusing myself more. So It will be really Great if I get a good Explanation for this.

Thanks in Advance.
Cheers.

Attachments

• 2236789.png
    2236789.png
    539 bytes · Views: 486
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The earthed surface has same potential as Earth - zero. Does this help?

aim1732 said:
The earthed surface has same potential as Earth - zero. Does this help?

I know that they at Zero Potential But don't know how to put this Fact to Good Use.
Thanks Anyway. :)

You calculate net potential due to all plates at that point and put it equal to zero. This should be related to charges on these plates and hence can give the distribution.

I can provide a response to this content by explaining the concept of charge distribution on metallic plates. When a metallic plate is given a charge, the charge will distribute itself evenly across the surface of the plate. This means that each point on the surface of the plate will have the same charge density. In this scenario, Plate 2 is given a charge Q, which means that the charge will distribute itself evenly across the surface of Plate 2.

Now, when Plates 1 and 4 are earthed, it means that they are connected to the ground, which acts as a neutralizing agent for any excess charge. This means that any charge on Plates 1 and 4 will be neutralized and the plates will have zero net charge on them. However, this does not mean that the charge on Plate 2 will be affected. The charge on Plate 2 will still be evenly distributed across its surface, but the overall system will have a net charge of zero.

In terms of the charge distribution on each plate, Plate 2 will have a charge of Q, while Plates 1 and 4 will have zero charge on them. This is because the charge on Plate 2 is not affected by the grounding of Plates 1 and 4. The charge on Plate 2 will still distribute itself evenly across its surface, but the grounding of Plates 1 and 4 will neutralize any excess charge on them.

I hope this explanation helps to clarify the concept of charge distribution on metallic plates in this scenario. If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

FAQ: Charge Distribution on Metallic Plates

1. What is charge distribution on metallic plates?

Charge distribution on metallic plates refers to the way electric charge is spread out or distributed over the surface of a metal plate. This can occur due to the presence of external charges or due to the flow of electric current through the plate.

2. How does charge distribution affect the behavior of metallic plates?

The charge distribution on metallic plates plays a crucial role in determining the electric potential and electric field within and around the plate. It can also affect the capacitance and electrical conductivity of the plate.

3. What factors can influence the charge distribution on metallic plates?

The charge distribution on metallic plates can be influenced by the shape and size of the plate, the material it is made of, the presence of other charges or conductors nearby, and the potential difference applied across the plate.

4. How is the charge distribution on metallic plates mathematically represented?

The charge distribution on metallic plates can be mathematically represented using the concept of surface charge density, which is the amount of charge per unit area on the surface of the plate. It is typically denoted by the symbol σ.

5. What are some real-world applications of understanding charge distribution on metallic plates?

Understanding the charge distribution on metallic plates is important in many practical applications such as designing capacitors, analyzing the behavior of electrical circuits, and studying the properties of conductors. It is also essential in the field of electrostatics and in the development of technologies such as touch screens and solar panels.