Charge on capacitor connected between spheres

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving redistribution of charges in a circuit, where the final electric potentials of the left sphere, capacitor, and right spheres are determined. It is noted that in such problems, conservation of electrical energy cannot be assumed due to the conversion of electric potential energy into other forms of energy. The potential difference between the spheres is related to the potential difference across the plates of the capacitor through the equilibrium state of the circuit. This leads to a simple equation that gives the required answer for the problem.
Saitama

Homework Statement

Two metallic spheres, each of radius R having charges 2Q and Q are joined through a capacitor of capacitance C as shown in the figure. Assuming R<<d, the charge on the capacitor long time after the key K is closed is:

(Ans: ##\dfrac{Q}{2+\frac{4\pi \epsilon_0 R}{C}}##)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The final distribution of charges should be as shown in attachment 2.
From conservation of energy:
$$\frac{(2Q)^2}{2x}+\frac{Q^2}{2x}=\frac{(2Q-q)^2}{2x}+\frac{q^2}{2C}+\frac{(Q+q)^2}{2x}$$
where ##x=4\pi \epsilon_0 R##.

Solving the above doesn't give me the right answer. :confused:

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Attachments

• capacitor and spheres 1.png
    capacitor and spheres 1.png
    5.4 KB · Views: 556
  • capacitor and spheres 2.png
    capacitor and spheres 2.png
    5.5 KB · Views: 504
Physics news on Phys.org
The electrical potential energy is not conserved in this problem. Think about the final electric potential of each sphere and the capacitor.

TSny said:
The electrical potential energy is not conserved in this problem.
Why the energy isn't conserved in this case?
Think about the final electric potential of each sphere and the capacitor.
Final electric potentials of the left sphere, capacitor and right spheres are ##\frac{k(2Q-q)}{R}##, ##q/C## and ##\frac{k(Q+q)}{R}## respectively but I don't see what to do with the potentials. :confused:

How does the potential difference between the spheres relate to the potential difference across the plates of the capacitor?

Pranav-Arora said:

In any problem involving redistribution of charges in a circuit, it's not safe to assume conservation of electrical energy. There is always "hidden" dissipation of energy as heat or EM waves, even when a circuit has no apparent resistance.

You'll notice this when working problems where a fully charged capacitor is then connected across an uncharged capacitor. Charge is conserved but the sum of the final PEs is not the same as what was present before. Energy is apparently "lost".

Final electric potentials of the left sphere, capacitor and right spheres are ##\frac{k(2Q-q)}{R}##, ##q/C## and ##\frac{k(Q+q)}{R}## respectively but I don't see what to do with the potentials. :confused:

At equilibrium, what can you say about the potential of the left sphere with respect to the left plate of the capacitor? And then about the potential of the right sphere with respect to the right plate of the capacitor? And about the potential difference across the capacitor plates?

Pranav-Arora said:

There will be conversion of electric potential energy into other forms of energy such as Joule heating and radiation.

TSny said:
How does the potential difference between the spheres relate to the potential difference across the plates of the capacitor?

Curious3141 said:
At equilibrium, what can you say about the potential of the left sphere with respect to the left plate of the capacitor? And then about the potential of the right sphere with respect to the right plate of the capacitor? And about the potential difference across the capacitor plates?

I made the circuit shown in attachment for the final configuration.

By KVL, I get:
$$\frac{k(2Q-q)}{R}-\frac{q}{C}-\frac{k(Q+q)}{R}=0$$
Solving the above gives me the right answer but I guess there is a better way to get the above equation?

Attachments

• capacitor and spheres 3.png
    capacitor and spheres 3.png
    1.7 KB · Views: 478
Pranav-Arora said:
I made the circuit shown in attachment for the final configuration.

By KVL, I get:
$$\frac{k(2Q-q)}{R}-\frac{q}{C}-\frac{k(Q+q)}{R}=0$$
Solving the above gives me the right answer but I guess there is a better way to get the above equation?

What I did is exactly what I wrote. At equilibrium, each plate of the capacitor will have the same potential as the sphere it's connected to (otherwise charge will still move and it will not be a stable equilibrium state). Let the left sphere and left plate (positive as it gains charge) be at voltage ##V_L## and the right plate (negative as it loses charge) and right sphere be at voltage ##V_R##.

Then the potential difference across the capacitor is ##V_L - V_R##, which you can equate to ##\frac{q}{C}##.

Plug in all your variables to replace the voltage terms and you have a simple equation that almost immediately gives you the required answer.

Last edited:
Curious3141 said:
What I did is exactly what I wrote. At equilibrium, each plate of the capacitor will have the same potential as the sphere it's connected to (otherwise charge will still move and it will not be a stable equilibrium state). Let the left sphere and left plate (positive as it gains charge) be at voltage ##V_L## and the right plate (negative as it loses charge) and right sphere be at voltage ##V_R##.

Then the potential difference across the capacitor is ##V_L - V_R##, which you can equate to ##\frac{q}{C}##.

Plug in all your variables to replace the voltage terms and you have a simple equation that almost immediately gives you the required answer.

Understood, thanks a lot Curious and TSny! :smile:

1. What is a capacitor?

A capacitor is an electronic component that stores electrical energy in the form of an electric charge. It is made up of two conductive plates separated by an insulating material called a dielectric.

2. How does a capacitor work?

A capacitor works by creating an electric field between its two plates. When a voltage is applied, electrons are stored on one plate, creating a positive charge, while the other plate becomes negatively charged. The insulating material between the plates prevents the charges from flowing together, allowing the capacitor to store energy.

3. What is the charge on a capacitor?

The charge on a capacitor is the amount of electric charge stored on its plates. It is typically measured in units of coulombs (C) and can be calculated by multiplying the voltage across the capacitor by its capacitance (Q=CV).

4. How is the charge on a capacitor connected between spheres determined?

The charge on a capacitor connected between spheres can be determined by the capacitance of the capacitor and the potential difference (voltage) between the spheres. The higher the capacitance and voltage, the greater the charge on the capacitor will be.

5. What factors affect the charge on a capacitor connected between spheres?

The charge on a capacitor connected between spheres can be affected by factors such as the distance between the spheres, the size and material of the spheres, and the dielectric material used. These factors can impact the capacitance and voltage, ultimately affecting the charge on the capacitor.