Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Charged inductor with no discharge path?

1. Nov 18, 2008 #1

ShawnD

Science Advisor

Suppose I have a simple DC circuit. If I wrap the wire around a piece of iron, I create an inductor. Having a steady flow of current creates a steady magnetic field around the piece of iron. If I remove the power supply and put a wire in its place, the magnetic field will collapse and send a current back in the opposite direction of the current which created the field.

What happens if I don't have a nice discharge path? What if I charged the inductor then cut the wire? The field still collapses, but where does my current/voltage go?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 19, 2008 #2

clem

Science Advisor

For DC current, the inductor will have a current, but only a small voltage, due to its resistance, across it. When you cut the wires, a large back EMF will be applied as the magnetic field collapses. This could institute a spark whose current will end the voltage due to the EMF. This is what you notice sometimes when you remove a plug.
    If there is no spark, the EMF will first cause a current pulse in the inductor that will charge the ends, followed by a back current pulse that neutralizes the inductor.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?