Charged particle hitting electric field at angle?

In summary, electric field lines can be used to visualize an electric field between a cathode and an anode. The direction of the field lines can tell us about the forces on charged particles. The force on charged particles in an electric field can be calculated using the formula F=E*q, which does not depend on the particle's initial velocity or angle of entry. This is different from the magnetic field, which has a separate term for the force that depends on the particle's velocity. In a situation with only an electric field, this term is not relevant and the force can be calculated using F=qE.
Intle
If I have an electric field between a cathode and an anode, are there electric field lines between the plates?
If yes, what happens if a charged particle enters the field at an angle? Is the force acting on the particle reduced?

Physics news on Phys.org
Intle said:
If I have an electric field between a cathode and an anode, are there electric field lines between the plates?
Electric field lines are just a graphic means to visualize the electric field. So if there is an electric field, field lines can be used to illustrate it.
Intle said:
If yes, what happens if a charged particle enters the field at an angle? Is the force acting on the particle reduced?
What do you think? What does the direction of a field line represent?

get clear in your mind what is meant by an electric field. You have an ANODE and a CATHODE...which direction is the electric field (assuming the anode and cathode are connected to the appropriate power supply)
what does this tell you about FORCES on charged particles?

Reduced relative to what?
There is a general formula for the force on charged particles in an electric field. Does the motion of the particle go into that formula?

lychette said:
get clear in your mind what is meant by an electric field. You have an ANODE and a CATHODE...which direction is the electric field (assuming the anode and cathode are connected to the appropriate power supply)
what does this tell you about FORCES on charged particles?
I apologize for not being specific enough. I am asking this question because when looking at the magnetic fields and particle motion withing that field the equation, F=q*v*B*sin() can be used to take into account the particle's initial velocity vector hitting the magnetic force vector at an angle. I am wondering if there is a similar equation for electric fields since the only equation I have found so far is F=E*q which to my understanding basically just says that it does not matter if there is an initial velocity or not and/or at what angle the charged particle hits the field.
I was referring to a negatively charged electrode when I said cathode, and a positively charged electrode when I said anode. So more specifically I was thinking of a situation where the cathode is heated and electrons escape the cathode and travel towards the anode, gaining energy as they are subject to the electric force.

Intle said:
the only equation I have found so far is F=E*q which to my understanding basically just says that it does not matter if there is an initial velocity or not and/or at what angle the charged particle hits the field.
Correct, it does not matter, the force is always the same.

So why i
mfb said:
Correct, it does not matter, the force is always the same.
So why is that different in a magnetic field?

Intle said:

Because that's the way the magnetic field works, by definition.

In general, the electromagnetic force on a charge at a specific location has a part which depends on the velocity of the charge, and a part which does not. For historical reasons, we split the electromagnetic force into two parts: the magnetic force which depends on velocity, and the electric force which does not.

Intle said:
So why i

I think that you are utterly confused about the Lorentz force law.

There are TWO parts to this force law, as can be seen from the two separate terms in it:

F = qE + q v x B

Your question, i.e. a charge moving in between two plates (assuming uniform electric field), involves NO external magnetic field. So here, only

F = qE

is relevant. This problem is no different than, say, a projectile motion in a uniform gravity (i.e. first year intro physics).

Is this clear?

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
I think that you are utterly confused about the Lorentz force law.

There are TWO parts to this force law, as can be seen from the two separate terms in it:

F = qE + q v x B

Your question, i.e. a charge moving in between two plates (assuming uniform electric field), involves NO external magnetic field. So here, only

F = qE

is relevant. This problem is no different than, say, a projectile motion in a uniform gravity (i.e. first year intro physics).

Is this clear?

Zz.
Yes, thank you for your answers.

Related to Charged particle hitting electric field at angle?

1. How does the angle of a charged particle affect its motion when it enters an electric field?

The angle at which a charged particle enters an electric field determines the direction and magnitude of its motion. The particle will experience a force in the direction of the electric field, causing it to accelerate. The angle will determine the component of the force in the direction of the electric field, and therefore, the direction of the particle's motion.

2. What happens to the speed of a charged particle when it enters an electric field at an angle?

The speed of a charged particle will increase or decrease depending on the angle at which it enters the electric field. If the angle is perpendicular to the electric field, the particle's speed will remain constant. However, if the angle is at any other angle, the particle's speed will change as it accelerates due to the force of the electric field.

3. How does the charge of the particle affect its motion when it enters an electric field at an angle?

The charge of a particle does not directly affect its motion when it enters an electric field at an angle. However, the charge will determine the strength of the force it experiences in the electric field, which will then affect the particle's motion. A higher charge will result in a stronger force and therefore a greater acceleration.

4. Does the mass of the charged particle affect its motion in an electric field at an angle?

Yes, the mass of a charged particle does affect its motion in an electric field at an angle. The greater the mass of the particle, the more inertia it will have, and the more difficult it will be to change its direction and speed. This means that a particle with a larger mass will be less affected by the force of the electric field and will therefore have less acceleration.

5. What is the relationship between the angle at which a charged particle enters an electric field and the strength of the force it experiences?

The angle at which a charged particle enters an electric field is directly related to the strength of the force it experiences. The force acting on the particle will be strongest when the angle is perpendicular to the electric field, and it will decrease as the angle deviates from perpendicular. This is because the perpendicular component of the force, which is responsible for the particle's acceleration, decreases as the angle becomes less perpendicular.