Charging iPod Touch with 4 AA Batteries: Help Needed!

• Thread starter FlashCus
  • Start date
In summary: I think you are misunderstanding what I am trying to say. I am not saying that the batteries are the problem, I am saying that the iPod needs data to charge. If you connect the batteries directly to the iPod, it won't charge. If you connect them to a circuit that provides power, it will charge, but the current will be limited by the battery's internal resistance.Yes, there is a voltage booster circuit you could use. However, it is not necessary. The iPod will charge using just 4 AA batteries.
FlashCus
I am making an external charger for my ipod touch that uses 4 AA batteries. Because the ipod requires data communication to charge, i have a 560k resistor from the power source going to D+ and D- of the usb port, both in parallel. I also have a wire connecting directly from the power source to +5VDC of the usb port. I tested the EMF of the 4 AAs (brand new zinc chloride, 1.5v) and it was 5.1v, even though each battery measured 1.6v. When everything is connected up, my power is 4.1v, but my ipod starts charging. Unfortunately the current part of my multimeter is broken so i can't measure it but i will try to find another one. Although my ipod says it is charging, it does not actually charge, and i think this is due to the fact that it needs at least 5v. I know about internal resistance, but is it really that much? I think that as current goes up, terminal voltage goes down when there is internal resistance...Is there a voltage booster circuit to get me back up to 5v, 5.5v ideally. Could it also be the batteries? Again, i'll try and find some more but i live in the middle of nowhere and can only get to places at the weekend.

Any help appreciated!

Thanks,
Marcus

Engineering news on Phys.org
Try measuring the batteries when they are not connected to your circuit. You'll probably find about 6V.

A diagram could be helpful to help you diagnose the problem.

Have you heard of Minty Boost? It's an open project that does the same thing you are trying to do.
(I can't post URLs yet, but search for "Minty Boost" and you'll find it)

Like i said i tested the EMF (batteries with no circuit) and it was 6v. Yes i have heard of minty boost but is there a way to it with less components? I want to minimize this at all costs...Is there no other way around this?

I think the iPod has a built-in voltage regulator, so you could probably get away with a very simple setup. However, a quick search indicates that the iPod Touch needs some data sent to it to commence charging. You'll have to send that appropriate data, not just tie the data lines to +5V.

Not to be rude or anything, but can you not read? First, i said i had tested the EMF of the batteries, which is them unconnected from the circuit, and you ask if i had measured that. Then i get told it requires data communication and i put "Because the ipod requires data communication to charge, i have a 560k resistor from the power source going to D+ and D- of the usb port, both in parallel." - this gives me 2.2v and the ipod says it is charging. I think you are missing the point. My ipod touch commences charging...it says it is charging all the time, but does not charge. The battery simply drains slower and the voltage at +5vdc is only 4.1v when it should be more...

Last edited:
Look, I don't know anything about your level of education, so I started simple. I missed the line when you mentioned already knowing about the data, apologies. good luck.

Last edited:
Test each AA battery by placing a 30 Ohm (plus or minus some) resistor across it while measuring the Voltage. If the voltage falls below 1.5 V, throw the battery into the recycling bin. Then say "Thank you" to asynchronous13 and go buy a new battery.

1. How long will the 4 AA batteries last when charging an iPod Touch?

The duration of the 4 AA batteries will depend on the capacity of the batteries and the power consumption of the iPod Touch. On average, 4 AA batteries can last anywhere from 2-6 hours when used for charging an iPod Touch.

2. Can any type of AA batteries be used to charge an iPod Touch?

No, it is important to use high-quality, alkaline AA batteries for charging an iPod Touch. This will ensure a stable and reliable power source for the device.

3. How should the 4 AA batteries be inserted into the iPod Touch?

The 4 AA batteries should be inserted into a battery pack or holder designed specifically for the iPod Touch. Follow the instructions provided by the manufacturer to properly insert the batteries into the device.

4. Is it safe to charge an iPod Touch with 4 AA batteries?

Yes, it is safe to charge an iPod Touch with 4 AA batteries as long as the batteries are properly inserted and the device is used according to the manufacturer's instructions. However, it is always recommended to use the designated charging cable and adapter provided by the manufacturer for optimal safety.

5. How can I tell if the 4 AA batteries need to be replaced?

The 4 AA batteries will need to be replaced when they no longer provide enough power to charge the iPod Touch. If the device is not charging or the battery life is significantly shorter than usual, it may be time to replace the batteries.