Finding Check Valves for Water Droplets

In summary, the individual is seeking a check valve that will allow water droplets to pass through with minimal pressure, but also keep them contained once they have passed through. They have considered using a swing or tilting disk valve, but are unsure if it would work. The suggestion of a cyclone moisture separator is also discussed, but it may not fit the application. The individual is also exploring the idea of using a dehumidifier and a funnel, but is looking for a way to keep the water contained in any orientation. The idea of using a wick is proposed, and the individual is wondering if there are any plumbing devices that can accomplish this. The conversation ends with the suggestion of using wicks made for kerosene lantern
JoeSalerno
I'm having trouble finding any valves to use for my certain application. What I'm doing is trying to capture water droplets into a sealed container. What I need is some sort of check valve that needs nearly no pressure to let water through, but keep it contained once it has gone through the valve. Although I know this would be some sort of check valve, I have yet to find a type of check valve that will work. It will have to be oriented vertically, and must be automatic, meaning that I shouldn't have to open and close it manually or electronically. A swing, or tilting disk valve looks like it could work, but I'm not sure whether the disk would move when rotated around. Additionally, I've found ball drip valves, but haven't been able to really find out enough information to know whether or not it'll work. I know this isn't exactly a mathy or complex issue, but I figure somebody here must know what I'm talking about.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Might a cyclone moisture separator work for you?

Will there be any back pressure on the check valve?
does each drop have to immediately pass through the valve or can some water collect before the valve opens?

anorlunda said:
Might a cyclone moisture separator work for you?
It looks like cyclones are used to separate gasses or fluids at a more pressurized level, and they don't seem to have a check valve sort of end, so unless there is a certain type that does what I want, I couldn't find it.

JBA said:
Will there be any back pressure on the check valve?
does each drop have to immediately pass through the valve or can some water collect before the valve opens?
Some water can accumulate, but the less the better.

JoeSalerno said:
It looks like cyclones are used to separate gasses or fluids at a more pressurized level, and they don't seem to have a check valve sort of end, so unless there is a certain type that does what I want, I couldn't find it.

That's right. To use one, you suck air from the container with a fan, force it through the cyclone separator, then blow the dried air back into the container. A separator has three connection, wet air in, dry air out, water out. Maybe that doesn't fit your app either.

But water droplets don't easily migrate to a wall or a valve (think of a cloud in the sky, or fog). Even if you have a valve, how to you plan to get the drops to move to the valve?

Another approach is that of a dehumidifier. Basically, it is a refrigerator that makes a plate cold. Water from the air condenses on the plate and runs down the plate to be collected in a bucket. A fan blows air over the cold plate.

anorlunda said:
That's right. To use one, you suck air from the container with a fan, force it through the cyclone separator, then blow the dried air back into the container. A separator has three connection, wet air in, dry air out, water out. Maybe that doesn't fit your app either.

But water droplets don't easily migrate to a wall or a valve (think of a cloud in the sky, or fog). Even if you have a valve, how to you plan to get the drops to move to the valve?

Another approach is that of a dehumidifier. Basically, it is a refrigerator that makes a plate cold. Water from the air condenses on the plate and runs down the plate to be collected in a bucket. A fan blows air over the cold plate.
The dehumidifier approach is what I'm doing. Basically, I have a dehumidifier that will create the water drops, letting them roll off into a funnel, where they will have to go through the sort of valve that I'm looking for.This is just to keep the water in a contained space where it can't leak out, no matter its orientation. Imagine it like a water bottle without a lid, and only a check valve to get in.

JoeSalerno said:
The dehumidifier approach is what I'm doing. Basically, I have a dehumidifier that will create the water drops, letting them roll off into a funnel, where they will have to go through the sort of valve that I'm looking for.This is just to keep the water in a contained space where it can't leak out, no matter its orientation. Imagine it like a water bottle without a lid, and only a check valve to get in.

Ah ha. But if you need it to work in any orientation, a check valve won't work. How about a wick? A wick works, even against gravity.
Aa

anorlunda said:
Ah ha. But if you need it to work in any orientation, a check valve won't work. How about a wick? A wick works, even against gravity.
Aa
I read a bit about wicking, and it sounds like the perfect method of doing this, but are there any pluming-esque devices that do this? Could I use a small tube and fill it with some material that would draw the water in one side and drip it out the other?

JoeSalerno said:
I read a bit about wicking, and it sounds like the perfect method of doing this, but are there any pluming-esque devices that do this? Could I use a small tube and fill it with some material that would draw the water in one side and drip it out the other?

I don't know of commercial devices. But your idea with the tube should work if you don't pack it too tightly.

To improve the flow rate (if you need that) something to squeeze the outside end once in a while instread of waiting for a drip.

Buy wick made for kerosene lanterns. Those wicks are very effective.

anorlunda said:
I don't know of commercial devices. But your idea with the tube should work if you don't pack it too tightly.

To improve the flow rate (if you need that) something to squeeze the outside end once in a while instread of waiting for a drip.

Buy wick made for kerosene lanterns. Those wicks are very effective.
It looks like these wicks are just cotton strips, so if I were to roll up a piece and put it in say, a rubber tube, would the liquid enter one side and flow through the entirety of the tube through to the other side and drip out there? And also, say i tipped the container upside down, could the water from the container come back through the wick in the wrong direction? If so, I'd imagine it would be plugged up and only release a bit of water at a time and not come rushing through.

JoeSalerno said:
It looks like these wicks are just cotton strips, so if I were to roll up a piece and put it in say, a rubber tube, would the liquid enter one side and flow through the entirety of the tube through to the other side and drip out there? And also, say i tipped the container upside down, could the water from the container come back through the wick in the wrong direction? If so, I'd imagine it would be plugged up and only release a bit of water at a time and not come rushing through.

The purpose of a wick in a kerosene lantern is to lift fuel from the tank up to the flame, so yes it works uphill. Two inches vertical in my oil lamp.

The coarseness of the weave in the material is critical, so some cloth is better than others.

For more info, see this. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capillary_action

You still have some engineering to do to make it practical. Size, shape, and so on.
Good luck.

There is a style of check valve that might work for you that is called a "duckbill check valve". Google under that title and you will find an array of manufacturers and designs of this type of valve. (Sorry for the delayed response but it took me forever to remember the correct name for this style.)

JBA said:
There is a style of check valve that might work for you that is called a "duckbill check valve". Google under that title and you will find an array of manufacturers and designs of this type of valve. (Sorry for the delayed response but it took me forever to remember the correct name for this style.)

The OP specified any orientation. I think he also means gravity feed. The duckbill (also called a joker valve) won't work in any orientation because the water won't run uphill.

Post#1
JoeSalerno said:
It will have to be oriented vertically, and must be automatic,

Post#7
JoeSalerno said:
This is just to keep the water in a contained space where it can't leak out, no matter its orientation.

As stated, I believe the intent is to collect the water vertically as per Post#1 and retain it in any orientation as per Post#7.

JBA said:
Post#1Post#7As stated, I believe the intent is to collect the water vertically as per Post#1 and retain it in any orientation as per Post#7.
By retain, I just mean I don't want it to be able to flow back out if the container managed to get raised over level of the valve. I looked at duck valves, and though their principle seems perfect, it looks like it would take flow as opposed to drops or a stagnant weight of water to open it up. By chance, would you know if they have an extremely low opening pressure? At this point, a wick sounds like the right application.

There would probably some water collection required but that would depend upon the thickness and stiffness of the duckbill end wall materials. These could be made very flexible and thin; but, at some point that might weaken the tip to the point that it would invert itself if the weight of the water is too high with the container upside down. Keep in mind that the duckbill valve is progressive opening, not snap acting, so that it is sort of a controlled leak device itself, so it only needs to flex enough at its center (it weakest opening point) to allow it to keep up with the drip rate.

From a drip collection point, I agree that it would appear a wick is the best choice but, as stated above, if the container is tipped to the point that the bottom of the wick is submerged then then contained water can flow back up the wick and leak out. At the same time, the smaller the wick, the slower that leakage will be, so how much leakage will depend on the drip rate that the wick needs to absorb.

Just a passing thought is that one possibility, if you have sufficient height available above the collection bottle, might be to use a combination of a wick with a duckbill valve below it that is able to open with a bit of collected water. That way,if the container is inverted, only the water between the wick and the duckbill would be leaked. Also if the container is to be removed and transported then only the duckbill need be retained with the bottle to prevent spillage.

1. What is a check valve and how does it work?

A check valve is a type of valve that allows fluid or gas to flow in one direction, while preventing backflow in the opposite direction. It works by using a spring or gravity to keep the valve closed in one direction, and then allowing flow when pressure is applied in the other direction.

2. Why do I need a check valve for water droplets?

A check valve is necessary when dealing with water droplets because it prevents backflow of the liquid. This is important in systems where the flow direction needs to be controlled, such as in plumbing or irrigation systems. Without a check valve, water droplets can flow in the wrong direction and cause damage or disruption to the system.

3. What are the different types of check valves available for water droplets?

There are several types of check valves that can be used for water droplets, including swing check valves, lift check valves, and ball check valves. Each type has its own unique design and functionality, so it is important to choose the right type for your specific application.

4. How do I choose the right check valve for my water droplet system?

When choosing a check valve for your water droplet system, you should consider factors such as the flow rate, pressure, and temperature of the system. You should also determine the type of check valve that is most suitable for your system and make sure it is made of materials that are compatible with the liquid being used.

5. How do I properly install and maintain a check valve for water droplets?

Proper installation and maintenance of a check valve is crucial for its effectiveness and longevity. The valve must be installed in the correct orientation, with the arrow on the body indicating the direction of flow. It is also important to regularly inspect and clean the valve to prevent any buildup or debris that could affect its functionality.