Checking if Three Operators Form a 3-Vector with SO(3) Commutation Relations

• Thread starter jfy4
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vector
In summary, the conversation discusses three operators, k_3, k_1, and k_2, which satisfy the SO(3) commutation relations. The question is raised on how to check if these three operators together form a 3-vector. The suggestion is to prove this by showing how they transform under rotations, and it is mentioned that these operators are already Li. The conversation then goes on to discuss transforming the operators to spherical coordinates and proving that they reduce to the given Vi. The final question is posed on which component of a vector each operator corresponds to in spherical coordinates.
jfy4
Hello,

Lets say I have three operators

[tex]k_3=\partial_\phi[/tex], [tex]k_1=\sin\phi\partial_\theta+\cot\theta\cos\phi\partial_\phi[/tex], [tex]k_2=\cos\phi\partial_\theta-\cot\theta\sin\phi\partial_\phi[/tex].

These operators satisfy the SO(3) commutation relations:

[tex][k_i,k_j]=\epsilon_{ijk}k_k[/tex]

How can I check to see if these three operators together form a 3-vector?

Physics news on Phys.org
In general you prove a set of operators Vi form a vector by showing how they transform under rotations, namely [Li, Vj] = eijk Vk. But in this case, your operators Vi already are Li!

I think what I'd do is to start out by defining Li in Cartesian coordinates, Lz = x∂y - y∂x, etc, transform them to spherical coordinates and show they reduce to your Vi. That substantially proves it.

Bill_K said:
In general you prove a set of operators Vi form a vector by showing how they transform under rotations, namely [Li, Vj] = eijk Vk. But in this case, your operators Vi already are Li!

I think what I'd do is to start out by defining Li in Cartesian coordinates, Lz = x∂y - y∂x, etc, transform them to spherical coordinates and show they reduce to your Vi. That substantially proves it.

Ok, I have managed to show that they come from the Cartesian coordinates, however, It still does not seem to me that these 3 operators are specifically assigned to anyone component of a vector. That is,

[tex]L_x=z\partial_y-y\partial_z[/tex]

but after the transformation

[tex]L_x=\sin\phi\partial_\theta+\cot\theta\cos\phi\partial_\phi[/tex]

What component would this correspond to in [tex](r,\theta,\phi)[/tex] coordinates? How can I determine what component these three operators correspond too?

bump.

Related to Checking if Three Operators Form a 3-Vector with SO(3) Commutation Relations

1. What is a "3-Vector"?

A 3-Vector is a mathematical concept that represents a quantity with magnitude and direction in three-dimensional space. It is commonly used in physics and engineering to describe physical quantities such as force, velocity, and acceleration.

2. What does "Show Vector Forms" mean?

"Show Vector Forms" refers to the various mathematical representations or formats in which a vector can be expressed. This could include Cartesian coordinates, polar coordinates, or other forms depending on the context and purpose.

3. What is the importance of "Hello" in the phrase?

"Hello" is not a significant part of the phrase and is likely used as a placeholder or example. The phrase "Show Vector Forms 3-Vector" simply means to demonstrate or display the different ways a 3-Vector can be represented.

4. How is "Show Vector Forms 3-Vector" relevant in science?

In science, vectors are used to describe the physical world and its phenomena. By showing the different forms of a 3-Vector, scientists can better understand and analyze various physical quantities and their characteristics.

5. Is "Show Vector Forms 3-Vector" a specific concept or is it used as a general term?

"Show Vector Forms 3-Vector" is a general term that can be applied to any situation where a 3-Vector is being represented in multiple forms. It is not a specific concept, but rather a descriptive phrase.