1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Chem-related math

1. Jun 29, 2005 #1
    I apologize, but I don't really know what this type of math qualifies as, so it's in general math. Anyhow, it's math that's being used for equilibrium problems in a grade 12 chem course, but my math is VERY rusty...

(2.5 + 2x) / (2.0 - x) = 2.50

and X = 0.56 (sorry, I wasn't sure how to use latex)

My question is this - how do you do the actual calculations, step by step? I'm not even sure what to call this problem to search for it on the internet. I need to know how to manipulate these though, so I may as well become familiar with them.

Any help or links to good sites would be greatly appreciated!

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 29, 2005 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

(2.5 + 2x) / (2.0 - x) = 2.50

The first thing you do is simplify the equation by getting rid of the fraction: multiply both sides by (2.0- x) (As long as you do the same (legal) thing on both sides of the equation you will get an "equivalent equation"- one that is true if and only if the first is). Multiplying the left side by (2.0-x) just cancels the denominator of the fraction and you get 2.5+ 2x= 2.5(2.0-x) so 2.5+ 2x= 5.0- 2.5x.

Now get x alone on one side. To get x alone on the left side only, I need to get rid of that "2.5" added on the left side and I need to get rid of that 2.5x subtracted on the right. The "opposite" of adding 2.5 is subtracting 2.5 so "subtract 2.5 from both sides: Of course 2.5- 2.5= 0 so 2.5+ 2x- 2.5= 2x: we get just 2x on the left. On the right we have 5.0- 2.5x- 2.5= 2.5- 2.5x. Now our equation reads 2x= 2.5- 2.5x.
    The "opposite" of subtracting 2.5x is adding 2.5x so we add 2.5x to both sides:
    2x+ 2.5x= 2.5- 2.5x+ 2.5x which is just 4.5x= 2.5.
    Now the only reason x is not alone on the left is because it is multiplied by 4.5. The "opposite" of multiplying by 4.5 is dividing by 4.5 so divide both sides by 4.5:
    (4.5x)/4.5= 2.5/4.5 or x= 0.555... (Since you numbers involved 2 significant figures, you were round to 0.56).

4. Jun 30, 2005 #3
    math

Thanks a lot for the help, everything's clear now!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook