Chemical engineer how useful would FORTRAN be

In summary, FORTRAN has been on its way out for many years, but it is still used in certain fields such as particle physics and is important to know for understanding function calling formats. It may be beneficial for chemical engineers to also learn C, as it is gaining popularity.
omagdon7
As a chemical engineer how useful would FORTRAN be to me. It is listed on the University of Florida's ChemE homepage as a good language, but I have heard it is on its way out.

All Comments Welcome

Physics news on Phys.org
I saw your post and just had to reply. I'm not a programmer but I learned fortran way back before there were PCs. I was an engineering student and took the math department course (there was no computer science department then) called Intorduction to Computing. I kept the text for old times sake. It even has a key punch card as a bookmarker (lol).

Anyway to answer your question. In my opinion, if you know BASIC there is no point. There may be a few differences but basically it's structured the same. A high level language.

Regards
Don

omagdon7 said:
As a chemical engineer how useful would FORTRAN be to me. It is listed on the University of Florida's ChemE homepage as a good language, but I have heard it is on its way out.

All Comments Welcome

yeah, that's what i keep on hearing, too.

but, for instance, my friend is doing an REU at u-chicago right now. and she had to use fortran to ...do something particle physics-y.

the advice that i got from my undergrad physics adviser is that it's easy to learn fortran once you have learned c++ but the opposite is not necessarily true.

FORTRAN has been on its way out for more years than I can count!

It is still used because so many of the first large math/engineering packages were written in FORTRAN. Actually most C++ compilers (For example. Same for Ada, etc.) allow C++ programs to call FORTRAN subroutines but it is still a good idea to know basic FORTRAN so you will understand the function calling format.

... and it seems that the later releases are still used, developed and going to be used to such extent that I'm starting to think whether it'll die at all.

Isn't C gaining popularity? It's probably best to learn both, althought I don't know much about chemical engineering.

1. How relevant is FORTRAN to chemical engineering?

FORTRAN is still a widely used programming language in chemical engineering, particularly in the field of computational fluid dynamics and mathematical modeling. It has been used for decades to develop and optimize chemical processes, and many legacy codes are still written in FORTRAN. However, it is not the only language used in chemical engineering and its relevance may vary depending on the specific project or application.

2. Is FORTRAN still being taught in chemical engineering programs?

Yes, many chemical engineering programs still include FORTRAN as part of their curriculum. This is because of its historical significance and ongoing use in the field. However, some programs may focus more on other programming languages that are more relevant to current industry needs.

3. Can FORTRAN be used in modern chemical engineering applications?

Yes, FORTRAN is still used in modern chemical engineering applications, particularly in the areas of numerical analysis and scientific computing. It is a powerful language for performing complex mathematical calculations and is often used in developing simulations and models for chemical processes.

4. Are there any disadvantages to using FORTRAN in chemical engineering?

One of the main disadvantages of using FORTRAN in chemical engineering is its limited ability to handle complex data structures and modern programming paradigms. It is also not as user-friendly as newer languages and may require more lines of code to achieve the same results. However, these challenges can be overcome with proper coding practices and libraries.

5. Is it necessary for a chemical engineer to learn FORTRAN?

It is not necessary for a chemical engineer to learn FORTRAN, but it can be beneficial for those who plan to work in fields that heavily rely on this language. Other programming languages, such as MATLAB and Python, are also commonly used in chemical engineering and may be more relevant for certain applications. Ultimately, the decision to learn FORTRAN should be based on the individual's career goals and interests.