Chem Kinetics: Suggestions for Further Reading & Calculus-Based Texts

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of chemical kinetics and the person's interest in finding further reading or sources. They specifically mention wanting to find a calculus-based text and mention the Michaelis-Menten kinetics as a good starting point. They also suggest checking Wikipedia and other textbooks for more information.
Hank_Rearden
I've been independantly studying chemical kinetics from a standard freshman year chemistry textbook, and I enjoy the subject, could anyone suggest any further reading or sources? Specifically I'd like to try and find a calculus based text, as the one I have specifically avoids using any calculus, and I'd be curious to see some of the proofs for determining the equations for the rates of second order reactions.

Thank you

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Wikipedia is always an excellent source.

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michaelis-Menten_kinetics

Not sure what level of kinetics you're looking for but MM is always a good place to start, and they don't dumb it down (has scary dx/dt stuff)! There should be enough links to other articles and references to satisfy your needs.

my old AP book (look for Zumdahl and Zumdahl) did a pretty good job explaining it. AP and SAT II review books also seem to cover the topic pretty well. if you have any questions...

1. What is the importance of studying chemical kinetics?

Studying chemical kinetics allows us to understand the rate of chemical reactions, which is essential in fields such as pharmaceuticals, environmental science, and materials science. It also helps us to predict and control reaction rates, optimize industrial processes, and develop new technologies.

2. What are some suggested further reading materials for learning about chemical kinetics?

Some recommended books for further reading on chemical kinetics include "Chemical Kinetics and Dynamics" by Jeffrey Steinfeld, "Chemical Kinetics: Fundamentals and New Developments" by Vladimir K. Vanag and Irene G. Calvo, and "Chemical Kinetics: The Study of Reaction Rates in Solution" by Margaret Robson Wright.

3. What is the difference between first-order and second-order reactions?

In first-order reactions, the rate of the reaction is directly proportional to the concentration of only one reactant. In second-order reactions, the rate is directly proportional to the concentrations of two reactants or the square of the concentration of a single reactant.

4. How does calculus play a role in understanding chemical kinetics?

Calculus is used to analyze and model the rate of chemical reactions. It allows us to determine the rate of change of reactant and product concentrations over time, as well as the order and rate constants of reactions.

5. Are there any calculus-based texts specifically focused on chemical kinetics?

Yes, there are several textbooks that specifically cover chemical kinetics from a calculus-based approach. Some examples include "Chemical Kinetics and Reaction Dynamics" by Santosh K. Upadhyay, "Chemical Kinetics and Reaction Mechanisms" by James H. Espenson, and "Chemical Kinetics and Dynamics" by Jeffrey Steinfeld.