Chemical Potential Homework: Ideal Monatomic Gas

In summary, the conversation discusses the incorrect use of the equation U=3/2NkT to find the chemical potential of an ideal monatomic gas. It is explained that the correct equation is μ = ( ∂U/∂N ) S,V and that using U=3/2NkT does not keep the variables of entropy and volume fixed. The correct thermodynamic identity is also mentioned as a starting point for understanding this concept.
Crush1986

Homework Statement

I just have a question about chemical potential for ideal monatomic gas. I see that by definition [tex] \mu = \frac{\partial U}{\partial N} [/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex] \mu = \frac{\partial U}{\partial N} [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I was wondering why it is wrong to use [tex] U=3/2NkT [/tex] take the partial with respect to N and get [tex] \mu = 3/2kT [/tex].

I know this isn't right, but what is exactly wrong with it?

The correct equation for the chemical potential of a monatomic ideal gas by the way is
[tex] \mu = -kT \ln({\frac{V}{N}(\frac{4 \pi mU}{3h^2}})^\frac{3}{2}) [/tex][/B]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm thinking there is something to do with the variables that need to be held fixed, they are entropy and volume. Does 3/2NkT somehow not keep these values fixed maybe?

Crush1986 said:
I'm thinking there is something to do with the variables that need to be held fixed, they are entropy and volume. Does 3/2NkT somehow not keep these values fixed maybe?
Indeed. You need to start from the thermodynamic identity
$$
dU = T dS - PdV + \mu dN
$$
from which you will see that
$$
\mu = \left( \frac{\partial U}{\partial N} \right)_{S,V}
$$

DrClaude said:
Indeed. You need to start from the thermodynamic identity
$$
dU = T dS - PdV + \mu dN
$$
from which you will see that
$$
\mu = \left( \frac{\partial U}{\partial N} \right)_{S,V}
$$

Yes, I most definitely see that.

My biggest issue right now is why is it not correct to use [tex] U=\frac {f}{2}NkT [/tex] take that partial with respect to N and obtain an answer? My thought is that this equation doesn't hold S and V constant inherently, but how would I see that? Just that fact that T is in the equation maybe?

Yes, you would have a term in ##\partial T / \partial N## in there.

DrClaude said:
Yes, you would have a term in ##\partial T / \partial N## in there.
Thank you very much. Little simple things like this keep holding me up a little. Hopefully my math skills tighten up in these last few years of my undergraduate studies.

You can take comfort in the fact that you had the right intuition as to why simply taking the derivative of U didn't work. The more you use math, the better your skills.

Related to Chemical Potential Homework: Ideal Monatomic Gas

1. What is chemical potential?

Chemical potential is a thermodynamic property that measures the potential energy of a substance's molecules to undergo chemical reactions or phase changes.

2. How is chemical potential related to ideal monatomic gas?

In the context of ideal monatomic gas, chemical potential is equal to the product of the gas constant (R) and the temperature (T). This means that for ideal monatomic gases, chemical potential depends solely on temperature.

3. How is chemical potential used in thermodynamics?

Chemical potential is used in thermodynamics to determine the direction of spontaneous processes and to calculate the equilibrium conditions for chemical reactions and phase changes.

4. What is the formula for calculating chemical potential of an ideal monatomic gas?

The formula for calculating chemical potential of an ideal monatomic gas is μ = RTln(P/P°), where μ is the chemical potential, R is the gas constant, T is the temperature, P is the pressure, and P° is the standard pressure (usually 1 atm).

5. Can chemical potential be negative?

Yes, chemical potential can be negative. This means that the substance is in a state of lower energy and is more likely to undergo spontaneous reactions or phase changes.