Chemical Safety - Storing Ammonium Nitrate

In summary, the conversation discusses the idea of using on-demand NH3NO4 as a cooling agent in a temporary refrigeration device for items in a hot enclosure. The safety of storing anhydrous NH3NO4 in dry, sealed containers is questioned, considering the potential high temperatures the containers may be exposed to. The suggestion is made to refer to the MSDS for proper storage guidelines.
Infinitybyzero
Hello, I'm thinking about creating a temporary refrigeration device for cooling items in a hot enclosure (i.e closed car in the sun), and I was thinking about using on-demand NH3NO4 as the cooling agent. I understand how the reaction works and the implications of using the chemical, but I'm more thinking about storing the chemical in a warm environment.

So here's the question specifically: would anhydrous NH3NO4 be dangerous to store in dry, sealed containers of, say, 50-500g a piece? We'll say the absolute maximum temperature of the car will be 170 degrees F and the minimum, -30F.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Your first stop should be to look at the MSDS for storage of any chemicals.

http://www.sciencelab.com/msds.php?msdsId=9927336

Keep it as a solution maybe?

1. How should ammonium nitrate be stored?

Ammonium nitrate should be stored in a cool, dry, and well-ventilated area. It should be kept away from sources of heat and open flames. The storage area should also be free of any potential contaminants, such as organic materials or combustible substances.

2. What are the risks associated with storing ammonium nitrate?

The main risk associated with storing ammonium nitrate is the potential for explosions. Ammonium nitrate is a highly reactive substance and can become explosive when exposed to heat or fire. It can also react with other chemicals and cause fires or explosions.

3. How should ammonium nitrate be handled during storage?

During storage, ammonium nitrate should be handled with caution and care. It should be stored in closed, labeled containers and should not be exposed to any physical impact or shock. It is also important to regularly inspect the storage area for any signs of damage or leaks.

4. Are there any regulations or guidelines for storing ammonium nitrate?

Yes, there are regulations and guidelines for storing ammonium nitrate. In the United States, the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) has specific regulations for the storage of ammonium nitrate, including its maximum quantity and distance from other materials. It is important to check with local and national authorities for specific guidelines and regulations in your area.

5. What should be done in case of an emergency involving ammonium nitrate?

In case of an emergency involving ammonium nitrate, it is important to evacuate the area immediately and call emergency services. Do not attempt to put out any fires or handle any spills yourself. It is also important to have an emergency response plan in place and regularly train employees on how to respond in such situations.