Chemistry Assignment: Solving Mass% and Density Problems

• Thread starter rochelle_soccergirl
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chemistry
In summary, the conversation discusses a chemistry assignment question involving a solution containing sodium chloride and water. The question asks for the mass percentage of sodium chloride and the density of the solution. The process for finding the mass percentage and density is explained, including the need for a conversion from milliliters to grams or kilograms.
rochelle_soccergirl
I have a chemistry assignment question that I don't understand. Any help you could give me as ot solving this problem would be greatly appreciated. Here is the question:
Suppose you make a solution that contains 10.23g of sodium chloride and 629g of water
a)what is the mass%of sodium chloride
b)If 11.72ml of your solution weighs 11.833g what is the density.

I should know how to do this problem but I havent' taken chemistry for 2 years

Physics news on Phys.org
Mass % = mass of consituent (in this case NaCl) / total mass x 100.

Total mass = mass NaCl + mass water.

Density = mass / vol.

Units of density could be kg/l (l = liter), kg/m3, g/cc (cc = cm3), or g/ml, as well as others.

I understand A but I still don't understand how to do B

ro=M/V
density = Mass/Volume

you have mass..now you need volume..as in astronuc posts there can be many density units.
there is a conversion from milliliter to gram or kg. So you got to find out how to do that conversion...simple steps of changing the metric/measurement unit..
like a conversion from yards to m.

1. What is the difference between an element and a compound?

An element is a substance that cannot be broken down into simpler substances by chemical means. It is made up of only one type of atom. A compound, on the other hand, is a substance made up of two or more different elements that are chemically combined in a fixed ratio.

2. How do I balance a chemical equation?

To balance a chemical equation, you need to make sure that the number of atoms of each element is the same on both sides of the equation. Begin by counting the number of atoms of each element on each side, and then use coefficients to adjust the number of molecules or atoms as needed.

3. What is the difference between an endothermic and exothermic reaction?

An endothermic reaction absorbs heat or energy from its surroundings, causing a decrease in temperature. An exothermic reaction, on the other hand, releases heat or energy into its surroundings, causing an increase in temperature.

4. How do I calculate the molar mass of a compound?

The molar mass of a compound is calculated by adding the atomic masses of all the atoms present in one molecule of the compound. This can be found by using the periodic table to determine the atomic masses of each element and then multiplying it by the number of atoms present in the compound.

5. What is the difference between a physical change and a chemical change?

A physical change is a change in the physical properties of a substance, such as its shape, size, or state of matter, without changing its chemical composition. A chemical change, on the other hand, results in the formation of new substances with different chemical properties.