Understanding Photon Energy: Help Needed for Chemistry Student

In summary, a student is struggling to understand a derivation involving the energy of a photon, E=hc, and the use of angular frequency, ω, instead of frequency, v. The student is seeking help to understand this concept.
Randomchemstudent
Homework Statement
w/v=c,w=vc giving E=hcv
Relevant Equations
E=hw, lamda*w=c, wavenumber (v) = 1/lamda
So I'm a chemistry student here in the UK - and I'm feeling a bit like a fish out of water on a physics forum but... I'm having trouble with a derivation that seems simple but i can't for some reason seem to understand.

I know that the energy of a photon is given by E=hc and that c=lambda*v giving E=hc/lamda. But my lecturer has used w(omega) in his derivation and i don't understand what it means and why he's used it to derive the energy in this way.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
##\omega## is angular frequency. It differs from frequency by a factor of ##2\pi##.

Likes Randomchemstudent
Spectroscopists often use ω for frequency, or for wavenumber. They (we) often loosely talk about wavenumber as frequency, e.g. "a frequency of 1730 cm-1". For example, on the NIST website, molecular vibrational frequencies in cm-1 are given the symbol ω. So you have to be a bit careful.

Likes PeroK
Randomchemstudent said:
Problem Statement: w/v=c,w=vc giving E=hcv
Relevant Equations: E=hw, lamda*w=c, wavenumber (v) = 1/lamda

I know that the energy of a photon is given by E=hc
No. The energy of a photon is ##hf##, which is often written as ##h \nu##, where ##f## or ##\nu## is the frequency. You seem to have your notation mixed up.

1. What is a photon?

A photon is a fundamental particle that carries energy in the form of electromagnetic radiation. It has no mass and can behave both as a particle and a wave.

2. How is photon energy related to the electromagnetic spectrum?

Photon energy is directly related to the wavelength of electromagnetic radiation. The longer the wavelength, the lower the energy of the photon, and vice versa. This relationship is described by the equation E=hc/λ, where E is energy, h is Planck's constant, c is the speed of light, and λ is the wavelength.

3. What is the unit of measurement for photon energy?

The unit of measurement for photon energy is the electron volt (eV). One eV is equivalent to the amount of energy gained by an electron when it moves through a potential difference of one volt.

4. How does photon energy affect chemical reactions?

Photon energy is responsible for breaking and forming chemical bonds during reactions. When a photon with enough energy is absorbed by a molecule, it can excite electrons to higher energy levels, leading to chemical reactions. This is the basis of photochemical reactions, such as photosynthesis.

5. Can photon energy be measured?

Yes, photon energy can be measured using specialized instruments like spectrophotometers. These instruments analyze the absorption or emission of light by a substance to determine the energy of the photons involved. The energy of photons can also be calculated using the equation mentioned in question 2.