Chemistry, mL required to Concentration of HNO3

In summary, the question is asking for the amount of 50.0% by mass HNO3 solution needed to make a 500 mL of 2.00 M HNO3. Using the equation for initial and final molarity, the solution is calculated to be 63.0 mL, after correcting a mistake in the original attempt.
Flip

Homework Statement

How many mL of 50.0% by mass HNO3 solution, with a density of 2.00 g/mL is required to make a 500 mL of a 2.00 M HNO3?

Homework Equations

initial Molarity X initial Volume = final Molarity X final Volume

The Attempt at a Solution

(50 g HNO3)(1 mL/2.00 g)(0.001 L/1 mL) = 0.025 L
(50 g HNO3)(1 mol HNO3/63.012 g HNO3) = 0.79 mol

0.79 mol/0.025 L = 31.6 M

(500 mL)(2 M) = (31.6 M)V

V = 31.6 mLComments

I don't know if the process that I used is right. Which leads me to doubt the answer. Any help is much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Generally not bad, although you did one serious mistake:

Flip said:
(50 g HNO3)(1 mL/2.00 g)(0.001 L/1 mL) = 0.025 L

That would be true if you would start with pure acid, not with the solution. 50 g of the solution has volume of 0.025L, that's OK, but it doesn't contain 50 g of HNO3.

Thanks for the reply.

Ok so the volume I obtained is right, but the label is wrong? And the answer is around 31.6 mL?

No, this is a serious mistake (serious in terms of the way it changes final result).

Ok ok, so since it says 50 percent by mass HNO3 I assumed that it was part of a 100 percent solution. Meaning 100 grams. So I did the whole process again with the new calculations and got 63.0 mL.

Here is my work:

(50 g solution)(1 mL/2.00 g)(0.001 L/1 mL) = 0.05 L
(50 g HNO3)(1 mol HNO3/63.012 g HNO3) = 0.79 mol

0.79 mol/0.05 L = 15.8 M

(500 mL)(2 M) = (15.8 M)V

V = 63.0 mL

Which I found out later, from the answer key that my professor provided me with, was correct. Thanks!

1. How do I calculate the mL required to make a specific concentration of HNO3?

To calculate the mL required, you will need to know the desired concentration of HNO3 and the volume of the solution you want to make. Then, you can use the formula C1V1 = C2V2, where C1 is the initial concentration, V1 is the initial volume, C2 is the final concentration, and V2 is the final volume. Rearrange the formula to solve for V1, which will give you the mL required.

2. What is the formula for diluting HNO3 to a specific concentration?

The formula for diluting HNO3 to a specific concentration is C1V1 = C2V2, where C1 is the initial concentration, V1 is the initial volume, C2 is the final concentration, and V2 is the final volume. Rearranging the formula will give you the volume of HNO3 needed (V1) to achieve the desired concentration (C2).

3. How can I convert a concentration of HNO3 from molarity to mL?

To convert from molarity to mL, you will need to know the molar mass of HNO3 and the desired concentration in molarity. Then, use the formula C = n/V, where C is the concentration in molarity, n is the number of moles, and V is the volume in liters. Rearrange the formula to solve for V, which will give you the volume in liters. Finally, convert the volume in liters to mL by multiplying by 1000.

4. What is the relationship between concentration and mL required for HNO3?

The relationship between concentration and mL required for HNO3 can be described by the equation C1V1 = C2V2. This means that as the concentration increases, the mL required to achieve that concentration will decrease. Similarly, as the concentration decreases, the mL required will increase. This relationship is known as the dilution formula.

5. Can I use any unit of measurement for concentration and mL required in HNO3 calculations?

Yes, you can use any unit of measurement for concentration and mL required in HNO3 calculations as long as they are consistent. For example, if you use molarity for concentration, you should also use liters for volume. If you use millimolar for concentration, you should use milliliters for volume. It is important to keep track of units to ensure accurate calculations.