Acidity/Basicity of 2.75 g MgO + 70 mL 2.4 mol/L HNO3: Find pH

• Thread starter Coco12
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ph
In summary: Mgo+2hno3=mg(no3)2+h20. So the concentration of the ion responsible for the character of the solution is 1.95mol/l. The pH is 8.3.
Coco12

Homework Statement

2.75 g of mgo(s) is added to 70.0 ml of 2.4 mol/l hno3(Aq) is the concentration that results from the solution acidic or basic? What is the concentration of the ion that is responsible for the character of the solution. What is the pH ?

Homework Equations

Mgo+2hno3=mg(no3)2+h20

Ph=-log(h30+)

The Attempt at a Solution

First I found the mols of mgo and the mols of Hno3.
( convert g to mol for Mgo and multiplied the concentration by vol for HNo3)

Since they are not in a 1:1 ratio as seen by the balanced chemical equation I took the one with the greater mol(0.06822) which would be HNo3 and multiplied it by 2(molar ratio)

I then used this mol and divided it by the vol of the solution to get 1.95mol/l
However the book is saying .46.. What did I do wrong?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hard to say what you did, as your description is rather cryptic.

Hint: this is a limiting reagent question. Whatever is left after the reaction will be responsible for the solution pH.

Please pay attention to the way you type formulas. No such things as mgo or hno3.

Borek said:
Hard to say what you did, as your description is rather cryptic.

Hint: this is a limiting reagent question. Whatever is left after the reaction will be responsible for the solution pH.

Please pay attention to the way you type formulas. No such things as mgo or hno3.

Usually you use the excess to find the concentration of the ion. What would the limiting reagent have to do with it?

I know how you are supposed to do this problem however I am not getting the answer

Ignore the pH part now. Solve the stoichiometry. What is left after the reaction?

Isn't that what I did above?

I multiplied by 2 using stoichmetry

I got it

1. What is the equation for finding the pH of a solution?

The equation for finding the pH of a solution is pH = -log[H+], where [H+] represents the concentration of hydrogen ions in the solution.

2. Why is the acidity/basicity of a solution important?

The acidity/basicity of a solution can affect its chemical properties and reactions. It can also have an impact on the environment and living organisms.

3. How do you calculate the concentration of hydrogen ions in a solution?

The concentration of hydrogen ions can be calculated by dividing the moles of hydrogen ions by the volume of the solution.

4. What are the units for the acidity/basicity of a solution?

The units for the acidity/basicity of a solution are measured on the pH scale, which ranges from 0 to 14. A pH of 7 is neutral, below 7 is acidic, and above 7 is basic.

5. How does the amount of MgO and HNO3 affect the pH of the solution?

The amount of MgO and HNO3 used in the solution will determine the concentration of hydrogen ions, which in turn affects the pH. More MgO or HNO3 will result in a higher concentration of hydrogen ions and a lower pH, while less will result in a lower concentration of hydrogen ions and a higher pH.