1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Chemistry or Physics?

1. Feb 23, 2015 #1
    I'm a senior in high school and very interested in both chemistry and physics. I have a strong background in chemistry but I am starting to lean more towards a career in physics. Any advice for college classes or decision making?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 24, 2015 #2
    I'm in 4th grade, and I want to learn more about physics. Can you help me with it? :)

4. Feb 24, 2015 #3
    I believe, at least in california. Students who are majoring in chemistry, physics, or even engineering. Have to take general chemistry and calculus based physics sequence. The most important thing is the math, and curiosity as to why things are the way they are.

You still have some time to declare a major. The 1 and even second year is almost identical. A strong math foundation is a must for each of these fields. Taking those classes I mentioned may point you in the direction of your future studies.

5. Feb 27, 2015 #4
    MIdgetDwarf is right, a lot of the first few years of classes are going to be the same for both. One thing to consider is the lab based portion of both. While the structure of the labs for both classes are generally the same (lab reports, careful measurements, and learning what goes on in a lab in basic senses) they are different in what the are trying to convey. It may be beneficial to hold that question until you try your hand at both and see what fits you better. That being said, reading about what physicists and chemists are working on these days might also help you lean one way or the other.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook