What Items Do I Need for a Chemistry Scavenger Hunt?

• Thread starter JimmyRay
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chemistry
In summary, Daniel was telling JimmyRay that he knows how to google things and that JimmyRay doesn't need to worry about it.
JimmyRay
Hi I have to bring in items on this list from my home... Maybe you guys can help me in identifying some of these items or just telling me how to go about finding some of them...

1. a model of a molecule (I could construct one?)
2. a result of a chemical change (hmm?? baking soda + salt or whatever?)
3. An allotrope of carbon (what is an allotrope?)
4. A pure substance (...hydrogen gas?)
5. A transition metal
6. An ionic compound (salt, right? but what else?)
7. Anything used to separate a mixture (heat?)
8. A substance with a specific gravity of 1.0 (what does this mean?)
9. A sample of dilute acetic acid (hmm?)
10. A substance containing a halogen (dont know any either)
11. A substance that will change the indicator phenophthalein pink (dont know)
12. An inert gas (what is it?)
13. A neutralization equation (dont remember)
14. A substance containing only carbon, hydrogen and oxygen atoms (glucose? but how do I only bring that in)
15. A sample of silicon dioxide (which is?)
16. A gas that dissolves in water ( WHAT?)
17. An example of chemical potential energy (no clue)
18. A saturated solution - be prepared to show proof (hmm? saturated?)
19. A chemistry cartoon ( I can do this, lol)
20. A group 13 element (umm which one is common?)
21. A substance with a density of 11.4 g/mL (?)
22. A substance containing the element which has the electron configuration 1s2 2s2 2p3 (nitrogen? what to bring in?)
23. A job description for a career requiring chemistry ( lol easy )
24. An example of an alloy (?)
25. A substance that sublimes easily (water?)
26. A hydrocarbon (hmm)
27. An address of a website that contains a chemistry tutorial (lol)
28. A demonstration of a gas law (gas laws?)
29. A substance containing the compound C2H4 (what is this?)
30. A metal with a high melting point (Bonus for having highest melting point)

Some of these things are review, some are new but if you guys could help me out with some that you might know it would be appreciated.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
3.Different cristalization forms of the same pure chemical element:in your case,C has only 2 occurring freely in nature,one of them being very hard to get and very expensive to wear and the other being used in the pencil/crayon manufacturing...

4.See 3... :wink:
5.Iron,copperr,zinc,nickel,hell roughly 80 elements...
6.Salt is good enough...
7.Yes,using heat to boil a mixture and collect the most volatile one is a sollution...

8.Read...
9.Also known as VINEGAR...

I'll leave the rest to the others...

Daniel.

JimmyRay,

Whenever you don't know what a particular word/phrase means, you might want to try Google. Within a matter of minutes you can find out what transition metals, specific gravity, inert gas, saturated solution, alloys... and other such things are.

Wow,Gokul,was that an elegant way of tellling him that u don't care...?:tongue2:

Daniel.

lol... Yeah I know I can google it. Just thought it would be fun if I posted it.. If I got no replies it wouldn't matter that much anyways since I -can- google it.

I tried to help,but really got bored quickly... :tongue2:

Daniel.

JimmyRay said:
lol... Yeah I know I can google it. Just thought it would be fun if I posted it.. If I got no replies it wouldn't matter that much anyways since I -can- google it.
I can give you all the answers, but that would completely negate the purpose of this assignment, which is to get you to learn about different things through your own research.

What makes it fun is that it relates to everyday things that you see, or use at least once in a while.

Oh I see... all right I will research them then. Its cool that you guys know these answers right off the top of your head... I was like that with some basic ones, lol it feels good to know stuff.

1. What is a Chemistry Scavenger Hunt?

A Chemistry Scavenger Hunt is an educational game or activity that involves searching for specific chemical elements, compounds, or reactions in a given location or set of resources. It is designed to engage participants in a fun and interactive way while also testing their knowledge and understanding of chemistry concepts.

2. What is the purpose of a Chemistry Scavenger Hunt?

The purpose of a Chemistry Scavenger Hunt is to encourage active learning and critical thinking about chemistry principles and topics. It can also help reinforce important concepts and terminology, as well as promote teamwork and problem-solving skills.

3. How do you organize a Chemistry Scavenger Hunt?

To organize a Chemistry Scavenger Hunt, you should first determine the objectives and desired outcomes of the activity. Then, create a list of specific items or clues that participants will need to find or solve. You may also want to consider creating teams and establishing rules or guidelines for the hunt. Finally, select a location or set of resources for the hunt and set a time limit.

4. What are some examples of items or clues for a Chemistry Scavenger Hunt?

Examples of items or clues for a Chemistry Scavenger Hunt may include physical objects such as lab equipment or chemical samples, as well as written or visual representations of chemical formulas, equations, or reactions. You can also incorporate puzzles, riddles, or other challenges that require participants to use their knowledge of chemistry to solve.

5. Who can participate in a Chemistry Scavenger Hunt?

Anyone with an interest in chemistry can participate in a Chemistry Scavenger Hunt. It can be tailored to different age groups and levels of knowledge, making it suitable for students, educators, and even casual enthusiasts. It can also be adapted for individual or group participation, making it a versatile and inclusive activity for all.