Chemistry textbook for physics majors?

In summary, the conversation discusses the search for a textbook that presents chemistry as an extension of physics at a level suitable for someone with a background in junior and senior level physics. The recommended books for this are "Principles of Modern Chemistry" by Oxtoby and "Chemical Principles" by Atkins, which both heavily incorporate physics and mathematics. It is also suggested to approach acid-base topics with an analytical chemistry book, but it is important to have a strong understanding of general chemistry first.
jack476
I've only had a single semester of general chemistry but am in my third year of physics and will be taking general chemistry II this upcoming semester.

In addition to the assigned text (Chemistry: A Molecular Approach, Tro) what I'm wondering is whether there are any textbooks that treat the ideas of chemistry as results obtained from physics at a difficulty level appropriate for someone who's had junior and senior level physics courses. Basically something that presents chemistry as an extension of physics.

Likes Demystifier
Physics news on Phys.org
That is the book I used for general chemistry, if you want a physics type treatment you should hit up a physical chemistry book.
If you want a more in depth math approach to the acid base type stuff an analytical chemistry book would work. Although I don't know how far you would get without mastering it at a gen chem level. I loved kinetics, thermo, and intermolecular forces, I hated acid base/equilibrium problems.

Either "Principles of Modern Chemistry" by Oxtoby or "Chemical Principles" by Atkins will be a great textbook that serves your need. Both books are physical-chemistry-oriented gen.chem. books that are heavy on both physics and mathematics.

Likes Demystifier and Dr. Courtney
Why over think it... take it for what it is, a freshman course and have a course where you can most likely get an easy A without too much work.

What is the purpose of a chemistry textbook for physics majors?

A chemistry textbook for physics majors is designed to provide a comprehensive understanding of the fundamental principles and concepts of chemistry, as they relate to the study of physics. It serves as a valuable resource for students to gain a strong foundation in chemistry, which is essential for understanding the physical laws and phenomena in the universe.

What topics are typically covered in a chemistry textbook for physics majors?

A chemistry textbook for physics majors covers a wide range of topics, including atomic structure, chemical bonding, thermodynamics, kinetics, and quantum mechanics. It also delves into more advanced topics such as spectroscopy, electrochemistry, and biochemistry.

How is a chemistry textbook for physics majors different from a regular chemistry textbook?

A chemistry textbook for physics majors is specifically tailored to the needs of students majoring in physics. It focuses on the application of chemistry concepts to the study of physics, rather than just presenting chemical concepts in isolation. It also assumes a stronger background in mathematics and physics, and may include more advanced topics and problem-solving techniques.

What are the benefits of using a chemistry textbook for physics majors?

Using a chemistry textbook for physics majors allows students to develop a deeper understanding of the fundamental principles of chemistry and how they apply to the study of physics. It also helps students to develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills, which are essential for success in both fields.

Are there any recommended chemistry textbooks for physics majors?

There are several highly recommended chemistry textbooks for physics majors, including "Physical Chemistry: A Molecular Approach" by Donald A. McQuarrie and John D. Simon, "Chemical Principles" by Peter Atkins and Loretta Jones, and "Physical Chemistry for the Life Sciences" by Peter Atkins and Julio de Paula. It is important to consult with your professor or academic advisor to determine the best textbook for your specific course and needs.