Chemistry: Using Formation Constant to calculate an end concentration

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the copper(I) ion concentration in a system where a 50.0 mL sample of 2.0 10–4 M CuNO3 is added to 50.0 mL of 4.0 M NaCN and the formation constant of the complex ion Cu(CN)3 is 1.0 10^9. The expert advises using a dilution and assuming that all copper is complexed due to the large excess of cyanide. This leads to approximate values for two concentrations and one unknown, which can be solved using the reverse reaction and the new K value. The final answer should be around 1.3E-14.
Hemolymph

Homework Statement

50.0 mL sample of 2.0 10–4 M CuNO3 is added to 50.0 mL of 4.0 M NaCN. The formation constant of the complex ion Cu(CN)3 is 1.0 10^9. What is the copper(I) ion concentration in this system at
equilibrium?

The Attempt at a Solution

I did a dilution and got the new concentrations of Cu and CN to be 1x10^-4M for copper
and 2M for CN
Then Cu+3CN→Cu(CN)_3
I (1.0x10^-4)(2)
C
E

Not sure how to proceed

Physics news on Phys.org
You have a huge excess of cyanide - so you can safely assume its concentration doesn't change (after dilution).

For the same reason - and taking into account quite large formation constant - you can safely assume all copper is complexed.

That gives you approximate, but quite reasonable values for two concentrations. There is only one unknown now.

After you are done, you should check if the assumptions hold.

Borek said:
You have a huge excess of cyanide - so you can safely assume its concentration doesn't change (after dilution).

For the same reason - and taking into account quite large formation constant - you can safely assume all copper is complexed.

That gives you approximate, but quite reasonable values for two concentrations. There is only one unknown now.

After you are done, you should check if the assumptions hold.

Ok, so I did that
I got the Concentration of of copper cyanide to be 1.28E7
then did the reverse rxn
CuCN_3_→3CN+Cu
(1.28E7) 3x x

the new K value i got to be 1/1E9=1E-9
so (27x^4/(1.28E7))=1E-9
i got x to be .0147

The answer booklet says 1.3E-14

Hemolymph said:
Ok, so I did that
I got the Concentration of of copper cyanide to be 1.28E7

You misunderstood. If all of copper was complexed, concentration of the complex is limited by the stoichiometry.

Whenever you see concentration higher than 10M you can be almost sure something is already wrong.

Ah ok thanks

Related to Chemistry: Using Formation Constant to calculate an end concentration

1. What is a formation constant in chemistry?

A formation constant, also known as stability constant, is a measure of the strength of the interaction between two chemical species. It quantifies the stability of a complex formed between a metal ion and a ligand.

2. How is formation constant useful in calculating end concentration?

Formation constant is useful in calculating end concentration because it allows us to determine the equilibrium concentrations of a complex formed between a metal ion and a ligand. By using the formation constant and the initial concentrations of the reactants, we can calculate the concentration of the complex at equilibrium.

3. What is the formula for calculating end concentration using formation constant?

The formula for calculating end concentration using formation constant is C = K * A * B, where C is the concentration of the complex, K is the formation constant, and A and B are the initial concentrations of the metal ion and ligand, respectively.

4. Can formation constant be used for any type of chemical reaction?

No, formation constant is specifically used for reactions involving the formation of a complex between a metal ion and a ligand. It cannot be applied to other types of chemical reactions.

5. How does temperature affect the formation constant?

Temperature can affect the formation constant by changing the energy of the reaction. Generally, an increase in temperature leads to an increase in the formation constant, indicating a stronger interaction between the metal ion and ligand. However, this is not always the case and the effect of temperature on formation constant can vary depending on the specific reaction and conditions.