How Many Moles Were Consumed in a Titration with 5.29 ml of 0.256 M Na2S2O3?

• Chemistry
  • Thread starter wcbryant87
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Moles
In summary, the overall chemical equation for the titration reaction is OCl(aq) + 2 S2O3(aq) + 2H+(aq) 6 Cl(aq) + S2O6(aq) + H2O(R). To find the moles of S2O32&(aq) consumed in the titration, the formula M = mols/volume is used. Using the given values of 0.256 M for the concentration and 5.29 ml for the volume, the correct calculation is 0.256 * 0.00529 = 0.00135 mols, not 0.0027 mols as previously calculated. It is incorrect to multiply by
wcbryant87

Homework Statement

The overall chemical equation for the titration reaction is:
OCl(aq) + 2 S2O3(aq) + 2H+(aq) 6 Cl(aq) + S2O6(aq) + H2O(R)

If a titration requires 5.29 ml 0.256 M Na2S2O3,
(i) how many moles of S2O32&(aq) were consumed in the titration, and
(ii) how many moles of OCl&(aq) were in the sample?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok so what i did was take .245/52.9 and multiplied it by 2 to get .0096 moles of S2O3 consumed...is that right?

Physics news on Phys.org
No.

Try to explain what you did and why.

And using numbers that were given in the question won't hurt.

I just realized there is supposed to be an arrow in between the 2H and the Cl; that is where the equation splits into reactants and products.

I'm looking over it again and trying something different. I messed up in the math the first go around

.256/.00529 L = 48.4 mols X 2 (because there are 2 mols S2O3) and that gives me 96.8 mols S2O3; part i

Shouldn't part (ii) just be the 48.4 mols from the previous?

You are still wrong. Check your units.

M = mols/volume

I know M and the volume, so it should be M * volume..not divided..right?

.256 * .00529 = .00135

.00135 * 2 = .0027 mols. Is that right?

Better, but still wrong. You got concentration&volumes&moles part right. Why do you multiply by two if you are calculating number of moles of S2O32-?

I multiplied by 2 because there are 2 S2O3 in the equation. Doesn't that mean you multiply it by two so that your ratio is correct?

Think about it - you put a mole of substance into the baker, but as reaction equation have a 2 in the equation, that means you put 2 moles in the baker? That's what you did now.

Related to How Many Moles Were Consumed in a Titration with 5.29 ml of 0.256 M Na2S2O3?

1. How do you calculate the number of moles consumed in a chemical reaction?

In order to calculate the number of moles consumed in a chemical reaction, you need to know the balanced chemical equation and the amount of each substance involved. Then, using the molar ratios from the balanced equation, you can convert the given amount of substance into moles.

2. Why is it important to track the number of moles consumed in a chemical reaction?

Tracking the number of moles consumed in a chemical reaction is important because it allows for accurate measurement and comparison of different reactions. It also helps in determining the efficiency and yield of a reaction, as well as understanding the stoichiometry and limiting reagents involved.

3. What is the significance of the mole concept in chemistry?

The mole concept is a fundamental part of chemistry as it allows for the measurement and comparison of different substances on a quantitative level. It also helps in understanding the composition and properties of substances, as well as predicting and controlling chemical reactions.

4. Can the number of moles consumed in a chemical reaction change?

Yes, the number of moles consumed in a chemical reaction can change depending on the conditions of the reaction, such as temperature, pressure, and the amount of reactants present. This can affect the equilibrium of the reaction and result in a different number of moles consumed.

5. How does the concept of moles relate to Avogadro's number?

The concept of moles is directly related to Avogadro's number, which is defined as the number of particles (atoms, molecules, ions) in one mole of a substance. This number (6.022 x 10^23) is a constant in chemistry and is used to convert between mass and moles of a substance.