Choice of computing platform for guidance system

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of attitude estimation and control of a flying or freefalling vehicle. The process involves inputs from accelerometers and gyroscopes, as well as the use of Kalman filtering and a control algorithm to achieve the desired attitude. The speaker also mentions the need to consider the computing platform for this project, with a preference for a powerful platform with wireless programming and debugging capabilities. Suggestions for potential platforms are Gumstix and Raspberry Pi, with a mention of the limitations of using TI DSPs and Code Composer Studio for wireless operations.
eichfeld
I am just starting to learn about attitude estimation and control of a flying(or actually, a freefalling) vehicle. There will be inputs from accelerometers and gyroscopes, Kalman filtering to estimate the correct attitude and control algorithm to achieve the desired attitude.

I am still putting down the first things to paper, but I also need to think what computing platform will I be using when I start realizing the thing. The platform should obviously be powerful enough for all the number-crunching, it should have a community I can ask help from and since the vehicle will be highly mobile(flying!), I would prefer having wireless programming/debugging capabilities.

What would be your recommendations for this kind of platform?

Gumstix seems to be powerful. Is it possible to have a system what is real-time and also have wireless capabilities?

I like TI DSP's and Code Composer Studio and have access to Dev Kits and licensed CCS, but these things are not meant to operate wirelessly.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I would use Raspberry Pi. Lots of hardware, open source software, and a community.

1. What factors should be considered when choosing a computing platform for a guidance system?

When choosing a computing platform for a guidance system, factors such as processing power, compatibility with sensors and other hardware, reliability, and cost should all be taken into consideration. Additionally, the specific needs and requirements of the guidance system should be evaluated to determine the best fit for a computing platform.

2. Is there a specific operating system that is best for a guidance system?

There is no one-size-fits-all answer to this question. The best operating system for a guidance system will depend on the specific needs and requirements of the system. Some may benefit from the flexibility and open-source nature of Linux, while others may require the user-friendliness and widespread compatibility of Windows. It is important to carefully consider the needs of the system before deciding on an operating system.

3. How important is the processing power of a computing platform for a guidance system?

The processing power of a computing platform is a crucial factor in the performance of a guidance system. A higher processing power allows for faster and more complex computations, which can be essential for real-time navigation and decision making. However, the level of processing power needed will depend on the specific needs and requirements of the guidance system.

4. Are there any compatibility issues to consider when choosing a computing platform for a guidance system?

Yes, compatibility is an important factor to consider when choosing a computing platform for a guidance system. The platform must be able to communicate and work seamlessly with the various sensors and hardware components of the guidance system. It is important to carefully review the compatibility of all components before making a decision on a computing platform.

5. How does cost factor into the decision of choosing a computing platform for a guidance system?

Cost is an important consideration when choosing a computing platform for a guidance system. While it may be tempting to opt for the most powerful and advanced platform, it is important to weigh the cost against the specific needs and requirements of the system. A more expensive platform may not necessarily be the best fit for the guidance system and could result in unnecessary expenses.