Chromium (III) ions and NaOH

• Thread starter TT0
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ions
In summary, the homework statement is that Chromium (III) will form a green-blue precipitate when dissolved in water, due to the presence of more OH- ions than the precipitate.
TT0

Homework Statement

Screen Shot 2016-07-04 at 2.27.56 PM.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I chose A as after googling, I learned it was green. My question is: what is the green-blue precipitate. I am inclined to say [Cr(H2O)6]2+ as it's solution is blue, but ions don't precipitate. I tried searching and could find nothing. Could someone tell me what it is?

Cheers!

Physics news on Phys.org
Why not just a hydroxide?

I just did further googling and it seems that A is not green according to some and green according to others. I am lost. Chromium (III) is green I think, but in A, C and D, the oxidation number of chromium is also 3. Could you give me some advice?

Why not just a hydroxide?
Is this for the blue-green precipitate or the green solution?

Thanks!

Sorry, that was for the precipitate.

Cr is amphoteric, dissolution involves OH-.

Likes TT0
So I guess the precipitate is some kind of chromium hydroxide compound (not sure what is the oxidation of chromium is). So I guess that means that the ion causing the green colour has more OH anions than the precipitate. That means A, B and E is not possible. Since NaOH is a base, it doesn't seem the formation of H3O+ is possible so I think the answer is C. My reasoning seems shaky so I could be very wrong. Is C the answer, if so, can you explain your logic so I can learn from it?

Cheers!

Oxidation doesn't change, there is no redox going on here.

As typical with most amphoteric elements, first hydroxide precipitates, then it dissolves in excess OH-. This is awalys a series of reactions of the

Me(OH)nm + OH- ↔ Me(OH)n+1m-1

type. One of them contains a neutral hydroxide, typically insoluble. Things get more complicated when you consider water ligands that are present as well (and replaced by OH-), but as a first approximation they can be ignored.

Likes TT0
So will the answer be C as it fits the formula you gave above? Thanks!

Point one I didnt get this statement from you.

TT0 said:
So I guess that means that the ion causing the green colour has more OH anions than the precipitate.

Ions can't have anions. I think you had a moment of confusion and wrote something else other than what you intended.

Coming to the question, why don't we use the method of elimination? Since the NaOH is (aq) it can't be a strong enough oxidising agent to oxidise Cr(III) to anything higher, especially Cr(VI). That leaves out B and E as answers.

Now because we are using basic medium H30+ ions can't originate. that leaves out D as an answer.

Googling tells me that Cr[(H2O)6]+3 is bluish in color. Puff goes A as an answer.

Leaves us only with C. And this also makes sense, because in qualitative analysis we place Chromium along with best buddy Aluminium, which forms a similar compound on addition of excess of base.

1. What is the chemical formula for Chromium (III) ions?

The chemical formula for Chromium (III) ions is Cr3+.

2. What is the chemical equation for the reaction between Chromium (III) ions and NaOH?

The chemical equation for the reaction between Chromium (III) ions and NaOH is Cr3+ + 3NaOH → Cr(OH)3 + 3Na+.

3. What is the color of Chromium (III) ions and NaOH solution?

Chromium (III) ions are typically colorless, while NaOH is a clear, colorless solution. However, when they react together, the resulting solution is a pale green color.

4. What are the properties of Chromium (III) ions?

Chromium (III) ions are a transition metal ion with a +3 charge. They are typically colorless and have a high melting and boiling point. They are also highly reactive and can form various complexes with other compounds.

5. What is the purpose of using NaOH in the reaction with Chromium (III) ions?

NaOH is used as a base in the reaction with Chromium (III) ions to neutralize the acidic properties of the solution. It also helps to facilitate the reaction and form the final product, Cr(OH)3.