Circle question (triangles too)

• Thread starter Couperin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Circle
In summary, to show that the length AB is equal to \sqrt {72 (1 - cos \theta)}, we can treat AOB as a triangle and apply the cosine rule to find AB. Rearrange and factorize under the square root to get the desired result.
Couperin

Homework Statement

O is the centre of the circle of radius 6cm, and A and B are two points on the circumference such that angle AOB = [tex]\theta[/tex] radians.

Show that the length AB is equal to [tex]\sqrt {72 (1 - cos \theta)}[/tex]

Homework Equations

I think the following might be relevant:

Cosine rule: [tex]\theta = cos^-1\frac{b^2 + c^2 - a^2}{2bc}[/tex]

Area of sector = [tex]\frac{1}{2}r^2\theta[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't really know where to start here. I think pythagoras is involved somewhere. The radius 6 must therefore be squared, multplied by 2 = 72. But I don't want to work backwards from the given soultion.

Am I missing some theory about chords of circles?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
No matter, I solved it.

Treat AOB as a triangle. Apply cosine rule to find AB, rearrange and factorise under the squareroot.

I would suggest starting by drawing a diagram of the given information. This will help visualize the problem and make it easier to understand.

From the given information, we know that O is the center of the circle and the radius is 6cm. This means that OA and OB are both equal to 6cm.

Next, we can use the cosine rule to find the length of AB. Using the given formula, we get:

\theta = cos^-1\frac{b^2 + c^2 - a^2}{2bc}

Substituting in the values we know, we get:

\theta = cos^-1\frac{6^2 + 6^2 - AB^2}{2(6)(6)}

Simplifying, we get:

\theta = cos^-1\frac{72 - AB^2}{72}

Now, we can use the area of a sector formula to find the area of the sector OAB. We know that the area of a sector is equal to half the radius squared multiplied by the angle in radians. In this case, the angle in radians is \theta, so we get:

Area of sector OAB = \frac{1}{2}(6)^2\theta = 18\theta

We also know that the area of a sector is equal to the length of the arc multiplied by the radius. In this case, the length of the arc is AB, so we get:

Area of sector OAB = AB(6) = 6AB

Since these two expressions are equal to each other, we can set them equal to each other and solve for AB:

18\theta = 6AB

Dividing both sides by 6, we get:

3\theta = AB

Now, we can substitute this value for AB into our original equation:

\theta = cos^-1\frac{72 - AB^2}{72}

\theta = cos^-1\frac{72 - (3\theta)^2}{72}

\theta = cos^-1\frac{72 - 9\theta^2}{72}

To solve for \theta, we can use the quadratic formula:

\theta = \frac{-b \pm \sqrt{b^2 - 4ac}}{2a}

In this case, a = 9, b = 0, and c = -72. Substituting these values, we get:

What is the formula for finding the circumference of a circle?

The formula for finding the circumference of a circle is C = 2πr, where C is the circumference and r is the radius of the circle.

How do you find the area of a circle?

The formula for finding the area of a circle is A = πr^2, where A is the area and r is the radius of the circle.

How many degrees are in a circle?

There are 360 degrees in a circle. This means that a full rotation around a circle is equivalent to 360 degrees.

Can you find the area of a triangle using circle formulas?

No, the formulas for finding the area of a circle apply only to circles. To find the area of a triangle, you can use the formula A = (1/2)bh, where A is the area, b is the base of the triangle, and h is the height of the triangle.

How do you find the lengths of the sides of a triangle?

There are various methods for finding the lengths of the sides of a triangle, such as using the Pythagorean theorem or trigonometric functions. It depends on the given information about the triangle.