Find Area of Circle Segments: Chord Length 4cm, Radius 3.3cm

In summary, the conversation involves finding the area of two segments created by a chord of length 4cm in a circle with a radius of 3.3cm. The correct solution for one segment is approximately 1.84 cm^2, but the answer booklet states the area of the second segment is 32.38 cm^2. The correct formula for the area of a circle was realized to be incorrect. It is suggested to draw radius lines to each end of the chord to create an isosceles triangle and use that information to find the area of the segment bounded by the chord.
MASH4077
A chord of length 4cm divides a circle of radius 3.3cm into two segments. Find the area of each segment.

I've managed to workout the area of one of the segments (approx 1.84 cm^2). This is the correct solution given in my answer booklet.

The second segment area would therefore be 2*pi*(3.3)^2 - 1.84 = 66.58 cm^2.

But my answer booklet says its: 32.38 cm^2.

Can someone point me in the right direction on this one because I'm completely lost.

Thanks.

Oops, I've just realized.. wrong equation for the area of a circle. Don't bother with this question.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Why did you do 2*pi*r^2 for the area of the second segment?

Draw the radius lines to each end of the chord. This creates an isosceles triangle.
You should be able to determine both the area of the triangle and the angle between the radius lines.

Use that information to determine the area of the segment bounded by the chord.

1. What is the formula for finding the area of a circle segment?

The formula for finding the area of a circle segment is (θ/360)πr², where θ is the central angle and r is the radius of the circle.

2. What is the significance of the chord length in finding the area of a circle segment?

The chord length is important because it helps determine the central angle (θ) in the formula for finding the area of a circle segment. It is also used to calculate the height of the segment.

3. How is the radius of the circle related to finding the area of a circle segment?

The radius of the circle is used in the formula to calculate the area of the entire circle, which is then multiplied by the central angle (θ/360) to find the area of the segment.

4. Can the area of a circle segment be larger than the area of the entire circle?

No, the area of a circle segment can never be larger than the area of the entire circle. The maximum area of a circle segment is half of the area of the entire circle, and this occurs when the central angle is 180 degrees.

5. How can I use the given information to find the area of the circle segment?

You can use the formula (θ/360)πr², substituting the given chord length for the central angle (θ) and the given radius for r. Then, you can calculate the area using a calculator or by hand.