Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Circles and pie

1. Apr 11, 2005 #1
    circles.... and pie

ok so i found this site and im learning about circles now :) http://www.mathgoodies.com/lessons/vol2/circumference.html

it says pie is 3.14 which is what you get when you divide the outer measurement of the circle by the diameter (pie being 3.14 as per his homework)

c/d=3.14 the question reads
    in this problem i have used & to mean pie cuz i don't know how to make that symbol
    circumference of a circle is 6&
    find the radius....

so

6&/d=&

6(3.14)/d=3.14
    18.84/d=3.14
    18.84=3.14d
    18.84/3.14=d
    6=d
    diameter is 2x radius so raidus is 3

sound right?
    thanks again guys and gals!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 11, 2005 #2
    Its right.

You couldve saved some time by dividing both sides by pi in the first step

4. Apr 11, 2005 #3
    Just for reference, it is written pi. You can get the pi symbol by using LaTeX code. You write tex or itex in brackets and close them with /tex or /itex in brackets. Write \pi inbetween the code to get the symbol to show up.

Like this: [tex]\pi[/tex], click the symbol to see the code to write it.

5. Apr 12, 2005 #4

Ouabache

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I like pie :tongue2: However, I believe you are referring to the mathematical constant which whozum correctly spelled pi ..

If you want to make the symbol [tex] \pi [/tex] click on the one I made and a popup window will show the syntax you can use, to create it)

(while I was writing this, i see Candyman has a similar suggestion, I wonder if he/she also likes pie :tongue2: )

6. Apr 12, 2005 #5

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

mmmmm......pie......

7. Apr 12, 2005 #6

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

You are too late, Fred. I sneaked up on it all unnoticed yesterday.
    You're welcome to the left-overs, however :smile:

Last edited: Apr 12, 2005
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook