Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Circuit design help, dual inputs

1. Feb 29, 2012 #1
    Hey! New to the forums here, and I wonder if you guys could give me some help.

I've got a problem! :D

Problem: Let me give you the scenario. I've got some GPS equipment that runs on ignition, constant, and ground.

I have a barge that has two motors, and two ignition switches.

I need to power the ignition wire on the GPS equipment with a constant 12v 3amp source coming off either/both of the motor ignition switches, without backfeeding into the other ignition.

MY Solution: What I have so far, is both ignition circuits being branched off into 3 volt fuses, and different diodes. Before each diode is an LED that shows me if I'm getting power or not on that circuit, with both - legs going to a common ground. AFTER the diodes it branches out to the ignition wire on the GPS device harness.

Problem: [1] I need to make sure I don't backfeed voltage into either ignition circuit if there is a component failure [2] I need to make sure all components are fused [3] I need to make sure the ignition circuit on the GPS equipment harness doesn't receive more than 12v @ 3A, and I need to maintain a constant 12V while either or both ignitions are on to my GPS device.

Question(s): [1] Should I use a capacitor in line with the ignition harness circuit on the GPS device to help stabilize my voltage? [2] Would I be better off preventing backfeed with relays instead of diodes?

Would really appreciate the help, I'm new to this kind of thing!

edit: circuitlab diagrams would be VERY helpful for showing examples! Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 1, 2012 #2
    *bump*

Help please! :(

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook