Circuit design help, dual inputs

In summary, a user is seeking help with a problem involving GPS equipment and multiple ignition switches on a barge. They have come up with a solution involving fuses, diodes, and LEDs, but have concerns about backfeeding and voltage stability. They are wondering if using a capacitor or relays would be a better solution. They also request circuitlab diagrams for examples.
esseph
Hey! New to the forums here, and I wonder if you guys could give me some help.

I've got a problem! :D

Problem: Let me give you the scenario. I've got some GPS equipment that runs on ignition, constant, and ground.

I have a barge that has two motors, and two ignition switches.

I need to power the ignition wire on the GPS equipment with a constant 12v 3amp source coming off either/both of the motor ignition switches, without backfeeding into the other ignition.

MY Solution: What I have so far, is both ignition circuits being branched off into 3 volt fuses, and different diodes. Before each diode is an LED that shows me if I'm getting power or not on that circuit, with both - legs going to a common ground. AFTER the diodes it branches out to the ignition wire on the GPS device harness.

Problem: [1] I need to make sure I don't backfeed voltage into either ignition circuit if there is a component failure [2] I need to make sure all components are fused [3] I need to make sure the ignition circuit on the GPS equipment harness doesn't receive more than 12v @ 3A, and I need to maintain a constant 12V while either or both ignitions are on to my GPS device.

Question(s): [1] Should I use a capacitor in line with the ignition harness circuit on the GPS device to help stabilize my voltage? [2] Would I be better off preventing backfeed with relays instead of diodes?

Would really appreciate the help, I'm new to this kind of thing!

edit: circuitlab diagrams would be VERY helpful for showing examples! Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
*bump*

Help please! :(

1. How can I design a circuit with dual inputs?

To design a circuit with dual inputs, you will first need to determine the type of circuit you need based on your specific requirements. Then, you can use a software tool or manually draw the circuit diagram, including two input terminals, and connect them to the appropriate components such as resistors, capacitors, and transistors.

2. What are the advantages of using dual inputs in a circuit?

Using dual inputs in a circuit allows for more flexibility and control over the input signals. It also allows for redundancy, which can improve the reliability of the circuit. Additionally, dual inputs can help reduce noise and interference in the circuit by using differential signaling.

3. Can I use different types of inputs in a dual input circuit?

Yes, you can use different types of inputs in a dual input circuit, such as analog, digital, or even a combination of both. However, it is important to ensure that the circuit is designed to handle the different input types and convert them to a compatible format if necessary.

4. How do I troubleshoot issues with dual input circuits?

If you encounter any issues with your dual input circuit, the first step is to check all connections and components for any loose or faulty connections. You can also use a multimeter to test for voltage, current, and resistance in different parts of the circuit. If necessary, you can consult a schematic or seek help from an experienced engineer.

5. Are there any limitations to using dual inputs in a circuit?

While dual inputs have many advantages, there are also some limitations to consider. Dual input circuits can be more complex and require more components, which can increase the cost and size of the circuit. Additionally, using dual inputs may not always be necessary, and a single input circuit may suffice for simpler applications.