1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Circuit Diagram for lights in a building (Sound/Light Sensor + Delay)

1. Apr 23, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Need to design a system where the lamp (output) turns on when sound is heard and turns off after 10 seconds of no sound, but it must also be dark (light sensor).

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have put a Light Sensor (that is set to let current flow when it is dark). Then i have a sound sensor, connected to an inverter, which is connected to a delay (set to 10 seconds). These are both connected to the light (lamp) through an 'AND' gate so that both must be allowing current to flow for the light to turn on.

When turning the light on there is a delay, (the question didn't say that having a delay at the start isn't correct, but if someone could tell me how to modify it so that that doesnt occur, it would be appreciated)

Last edited: Apr 23, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 23, 2014 #2

donpacino

Gold Member

the output of the delay and the output of the inverter should connected to an OR gate. The output of the OR gate goes into the AND gate.

Delay:
    output=OR gate
    input=inverter

OR Gate:
    output=AND gate
    inputs=inverter,delay

AND Gate:
    output=lamp
    inputs=Or gate,light sensor.

make sense?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted