• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Circuit to change the current and voltage of a dc circuit?

I wasn't sure whether to post this here or in the 'homework' section... technically it is not a homework question, but I will be happy to move it...

I am really struggling with this circuit:
upload_2015-1-25_14-16-29.png

:'(
At the moment, I have no clue what to do for part i). I am sure that I will get part ii) afterwards, but I just don't know how to change the pd and current, and I don't really understand the purpose of the 0V terminals..

Thank you in advance for any help!

Answers and Replies

Baluncore
Science Advisor
2019 Award
This question seems to be context related.
It will be testing the coursework just done, so we need to know what that was and what questions came earlier.

Stephen Tashi
Science Advisor
I am really struggling with this circuit:
Have you been studying "two port" networks or was this question asked before that topic was mentioned ?

You could look at examples of two port networks that have voltage sources in them to get some ideas.
There are lots of notes about two port networks online. e.g. http://ocw.nthu.edu.tw/ocw/upload/12/237/05handout.pdf

jim hardy
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2019 Award
Dearly Missed
Have you studied Thevenin and Norton yet?

If so you know the answer already and just need the courage to risk making a mistake or two.

Always parse questions to break them into individual parts.
False starts are just experiments . You have to go down a lot of blind alleys to learn any neighbvorhood...

What's simplest two element circuit you can think of that containss a voltage(p.d.) and resistance ?
Now - if we take them at their word and give Iin a small constant value,
i think you can answer (i) with one component.

That should lead you into answer for (ii).

Baluncore
Science Advisor
2019 Award
jim hardy
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2019 Award
Dearly Missed
Interesting set of questions.

Vin and Iin are irrelevant
(i) is a voltage source of Vout in series with r, or a current source of Vout/r in parallel with r.

(ii) is worded to trip up those who do not read carefully. It mixes constant current and voltage sources, to make it hard for beginners.