Circuits Op Amp R equilvalent help

In summary, the conversation is about finding the R equivalent of a system involving an ideal op amp. The equation for R equivalent is given as -(R1/R2)R, and the task is to find the current in order to calculate R equivalent. It is mentioned that the op amp is used in a circuit with only negative feedback, and this affects the voltage on the negative input. To find the voltage on the positive input, a simple voltage divider can be used. The resistance of the input of the op amp is assumed to be infinite if not given.
Innuendo
[SOLVED] Circuits Op Amp R equilvalent help!

Homework Statement

I'm working on Ideal op amps and I need to find the R equivalent of the system.
I'm not sure if this term is used in other places but R equivalent = total Resistance of the circuit.
http://img169.imageshack.us/img169/4386/reqrk6.png

2. The attempt at a solution
I have to place a voltage at the circle at the top left and use the voltage to divide the current to get the Req, but I don't know how to find the current. I think I have to use a current divider at the 10 and 40 k ohms but I can't seem to get the answer of 14 k ohms as the answer in the back of the book. Please help!

3. Relevant equations
I'm also confused if this is the Negative Resistance mentioned in the book. But the given equation for Req = -(R1/R2)R

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
First calculate the voltage on the positive input of the opamp. That is just a simple voltage divider.
The opamp is used in a circuit with only negative feedback. What does this mean about the voltage on the negative input?

Once you know the voltage on the inputs of the opamp its simple to compute the input current of the circuit.

which resistance on the bottom is the one I need? I'm having problem on setting up that voltage divider at the positive input..
is it 30/70 * v ?

Innuendo said:
which resistance on the bottom is the one I need? I'm having problem on setting up that voltage divider at the positive input..
is it 30/70 * v ?

yes. you just have a current going from the input through the 40k then the 30k and then to ground. If the resistance of the input of an op-amp isn't given, you can assume it is infinite.

1. What is an op amp?

An op amp, or operational amplifier, is an electronic component that amplifies the electrical signals it receives. It has two inputs, an inverting and non-inverting, and a single output.

2. How do I calculate the equivalent resistance of a circuit with op amps?

To calculate the equivalent resistance of a circuit with op amps, you will need to use the formula: 1/Req = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + ... + 1/Rn, where Rn represents the resistance of each resistor in the circuit.

3. What is the purpose of using equivalent resistance in op amp circuits?

Equivalent resistance is used in op amp circuits to simplify the calculation of voltage and current in the circuit. It allows for easier analysis and design of the circuit.

4. How do I find the equivalent resistance of a circuit with multiple op amps?

To find the equivalent resistance of a circuit with multiple op amps, you will need to use the formula: 1/Req = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + ... + 1/Rn + 1/Rfeedback, where Rfeedback represents the resistance of the feedback loop in the circuit.

5. Can I use different values for the resistors in an op amp circuit to achieve a specific output?

Yes, you can use different values for the resistors in an op amp circuit to achieve a specific output. This is known as resistor scaling and can be used to adjust the gain or other characteristics of the circuit.