Circular motion-find the minimum speed

In summary, the question is asking for the minimum speed that a 4kg ball attached to a 1.2m long string needs to maintain a circular path in a vertical plane. The minimum speed can be found by using the formula T+mg=mv^2/r, but the tension does not need to be calculated. The condition for the minimum speed is when the tension becomes zero, meaning the ball is no longer moving in a circular path. Therefore, the minimum speed is when T=0, or when v is less than the minimum speed.
Shad94
The question is:

A ball of a mass 4kg is attached to the end of a 1.2m long string and whirled around in a circle that describes a vertical plane..what is the minimum speed that the ball can be moving at and still maintain a circular path?

i try solve it by use T+mg=mv*2/r.But i can't find the tension...

Physics news on Phys.org
Shad94 said:
The question is:

A ball of a mass 4kg is attached to the end of a 1.2m long string and whirled around in a circle that describes a vertical plane..what is the minimum speed that the ball can be moving at and still maintain a circular path?

i try solve it by use T+mg=mv*2/r.But i can't find the tension...

You don't need to calculate the tension. What is the condition for the "minimum speed"?
Or what happens with T when v is less than that minimum?

Can you give me the answer...because i still don't understand it..

nasu said:
You don't need to calculate the tension. What is the condition for the "minimum speed"?
Or what happens with T when v is less than that minimum?

Can you give me the answer...because i still don't understand it..

The minimum speed that the ball can be moving at and still maintain a circular path can be found by equating the centripetal force (Tension) to the weight of the ball (mg). This is because the tension in the string provides the necessary force to keep the ball moving in a circular path, while gravity (mg) acts in the opposite direction.

Using the equation T = mv^2/r, where T is the tension, m is the mass of the ball, v is the speed, and r is the radius of the circle (in this case, the length of the string), we can set T equal to mg and solve for v:

mg = mv^2/r

Solving for v, we get:

v = √(rg)

Substituting in the values given in the question (m=4kg, r=1.2m, g=9.8m/s^2), we get:

v = √(1.2*4*9.8) = 6.93 m/s

Therefore, the minimum speed that the ball can be moving at and still maintain a circular path is approximately 6.93 m/s. Any lower speed would not provide enough centripetal force to keep the ball in a circular path.

Related to Circular motion-find the minimum speed

What is circular motion?

Circular motion refers to the movement of an object along a circular path at a constant speed. This type of motion can be seen in objects such as planets orbiting the sun or a ball swinging on a string.

What is the minimum speed required for circular motion?

The minimum speed required for circular motion depends on the radius of the circular path and the gravitational force acting on the object. It can be calculated using the formula v = √(GM/r), where G is the gravitational constant, M is the mass of the central object, and r is the radius of the circular path.

Why is the minimum speed necessary for circular motion?

The minimum speed is necessary for circular motion because it ensures that the centripetal force, which is responsible for keeping the object in its circular path, is equal to the centrifugal force, which is the force pulling the object away from the center of the circle. If the speed is lower than the minimum required, the object will not be able to maintain a circular path and will either fall towards the center or move away from it.

What happens if the minimum speed is not reached?

If the minimum speed is not reached, the object will not be able to maintain a circular path and will either fall towards the center or move away from it. This is because the centripetal force will be greater than the centrifugal force, causing the object to deviate from its circular path.

How can the minimum speed be increased?

The minimum speed can be increased by either increasing the radius of the circular path or decreasing the mass of the central object. This will result in a decrease in the centripetal force and an increase in the minimum required speed for circular motion.