1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Circular Motion of a marble

1. Oct 10, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

You swing a marble with mass m attached to the end of a string in a horizontal circle as shown in the figure below. The angle that the string makes with the vertical is
    θ = 37°.

(a) Find the speed of the marble when the string is 26.0 cm long.

2. Relevant equations

soh,cah,toa

Ar = v^2/r
    4ii^2r/T

3. The attempt at a solution

I solved for the radius by using trig, but now I don't know what to do. Without mass or revloutions, I don't know how to solve form the speed.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 10, 2013 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Draw the free body diagram: What forces act on the marble? What is the resultant when the marble moves along a horizontal circle? You do not need the value of the mass: it will cancel.

ehild

4. Oct 10, 2013 #3
    You have gravity and force of tension

5. Oct 10, 2013 #4

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, and what is their resultant?

ehild

Attached Files:

6. Oct 10, 2013 #5
    I actually have no idea. I'm blanking out.

7. Oct 10, 2013 #6
    if its moving in circle, then some force should be providing centripetal force. Here that force is horizontal component of tension. And since the ball isn't moving up or down, force of gravity should be balanced by some other force, namely vertical component of tension.

just as ehild said, making free body diagram would make it more clear.

8. Oct 10, 2013 #7

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The resultant of the tension and gravity is equal to the (horizontal) centripetal force. How is it related to mg and the angle of the string with the vertical ?

ehild

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted