Circular motion of ball and string

In summary, the ball goes around once in 1.8 seconds when the tension in the cord at the top of the circle is zero.
ScienceGeek24

Homework Statement

Part A : A 0.5 Kg ball is attached to a cord 80 cm long. The ball is whirled in a vertical circle at a constant speed. If the ball takes 0.4 seconds to go around once, what is the tension in the cord at the top and bottom of the circle?

Part B How long does it take for the ball to go around once if the tension in the cord at the top of the circle is zero?

Homework Equations

v=2Pi*R/T
T=m(g+v^2/r) (bottom of the circle)
T=m(g-v^2/r) (top of the circle)

The Attempt at a Solution

For part A i used both of the circular motion formulas to fin the tension and i got totally different answers from what it suppose to be for top and bottom. Top it suppose to be 93.8N and bottom it suppose to be 104 N i got 92.7N top and 102.7 N bottom. ( I do not know if the answer is a print error).

For part A I tried to use v=2Pi*R/T to get the time and i keep getting the same time in part A which is 0.4 secs. But the answer is 1.8 seconds.

Can someone explain to be what I'm doing wrong? thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
the formula for top of the circle should be

T=m(v^2/r - g) (top of the circle)

for part a, the time is 12.57 second

g = 9.81

try to put the numbers in your calculator more carefully, the result should come out correct

for part b, tension must equal zero yet F=ma must be obeyed

F = m * a

T + mg = m * v^2/r (the downward force consist of tension and weight)

mg = m*v^2/r (T=0)

g = v^2/r

v = 2.8 m s^-1

now try the v=2Pi*R/T again

Thanks it worked!

1. What is circular motion of ball and string?

The circular motion of ball and string refers to the movement of a ball attached to a string that is being swung around in a circular path.

2. What causes the ball to move in a circular motion?

The ball moves in a circular motion due to the tension in the string and the centripetal force acting on the ball, which keeps it moving towards the center of the circle.

3. How can the speed of the ball in circular motion be determined?

The speed of the ball can be determined by dividing the distance traveled by the time it takes to complete one full circle. This is known as the tangential speed.

4. What is the relationship between the length of the string and the speed of the ball in circular motion?

The shorter the length of the string, the faster the ball will move in a circular motion. This is because a shorter string creates a smaller circle, resulting in a higher tangential speed.

5. How is circular motion of ball and string used in real life?

Circular motion of ball and string is used in various real-life applications, such as in amusement park rides, pendulum clocks, and even in sports like hammer throwing. It is also used in scientific experiments to study centripetal force and other related concepts.