What is the tension in the string for circular motion of keys?

In summary, keys with a combined mass of 0.100 kg attached to a 0.25m long string can swing in a circular path at a minimum speed of 2.5 m/s. The tension in the string at the bottom of the circle can be calculated using Newton's 2nd law and the length of the string as the radius. However, the exact speed and tension will depend on the specific point in the circle, with the minimum speed being at the top and the maximum tension being at the bottom.
fa08ti
Keys with a combined mass of 0.100 kg are attached to a 0.25m long string and swung in a circle in the vertical plane.
a) What is the slowest speed that the keys can swing and still maintain a circular path?
b) What is the tension in the string at the bottom of the circle?

for part a, I used g= v^2/r and rearranged it to v=sqrt(gr)
I got v=2.5 m/s
I'm pretty sure that's right

I think i'd have to use the same equation for the part b?

I'm just stuck on the radius thing for part b
any ideas would be great

Physics news on Phys.org
fa08ti said:
for part a, I used g= v^2/r and rearranged it to v=sqrt(gr)
I got v=2.5 m/s
I'm pretty sure that's right
What did you use for 'r'?

I think i'd have to use the same equation for the part b?
Use Newton's 2nd law.

I'm just stuck on the radius thing for part b
There's only one radius.

I used 0.25 m...that doesn't seem accurate now

and isn't the second law F=ma? how would that help since I only know the mass

fa08ti said:
I used 0.25 m...that doesn't seem accurate now
Why do you say that?

well the question said the length of the string is 0.25m. It didn't say the radius was that length. Would I be correct in assuming that the length of the string is the radius?

fa08ti said:
and isn't the second law F=ma? how would that help since I only know the mass
You need to identify the forces acting on the keys when they are at the bottom.

What's unclear to me is what speed you're supposed to use at that point. Are you to assume a constant speed as it goes around the circle? (It would naturally pick up speed as it falls.)

fa08ti said:
well the question said the length of the string is 0.25m. It didn't say the radius was that length. Would I be correct in assuming that the length of the string is the radius?
Yes. The keys are at the end of the string, thus the string becomes the radius of the circle. (Someone's hand is the center of that circle, presumably.)

Wouldn't I just use the answer from part a?

fa08ti said:
Wouldn't I just use the answer from part a?
I wouldn't think so. The minimum speed is attained at the top; you'd need to figure out the speed at the bottom.

Even part a is a bit ambiguous: Do they want the minimum speed at any point or the minimum speed at the bottom to reach the top?

It would be at any point

fa08ti said:
It would be at any point
Which is what you solved for with the formula you used for part a. (You need to redo your calculation with the correct radius.) The point of minimum speed is at the top of the circle.

how do i know what the correct radius is?

fa08ti said:
how do i know what the correct radius is?
The radius is given; it's the length of the string. (I thought I answered that one.)

Related to What is the tension in the string for circular motion of keys?

What is circular motion?

Circular motion refers to the movement of an object along a circular path. In this type of motion, the object's distance from a fixed point remains constant, but its direction constantly changes.

How do keys exhibit circular motion?

Keys attached to a keychain can exhibit circular motion when they are swung around in a circular path. This is due to the force of gravity pulling them towards the center of the circular motion while the keychain provides a centripetal force to keep the keys moving along the circular path.

What is centripetal force?

Centripetal force is the force that keeps an object moving along a circular path. It is directed towards the center of the circle and is necessary for an object to maintain circular motion.

How is centripetal force related to circular motion of keys?

In the case of circular motion of keys, the centripetal force is provided by the keychain that keeps the keys moving along the circular path. Without this force, the keys would move in a straight line instead of a circular path.

What factors affect the circular motion of keys?

The speed of the keys, the length of the keychain, and the mass of the keys can all affect the circular motion of keys. A higher speed or a longer keychain can result in a larger centripetal force, while a heavier set of keys may require a stronger centripetal force to maintain circular motion.