1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Circular Motion of two bikes

1. Jan 24, 2004 #1
    Two cyclists A and B, are traveling counterclockwise around a circular track at a constant speed of 8 ft/sec at the instant shown. If the speed of A is increased at aA = SA ft/sec^2, where SA is in ft, determine the distance measured counterclockwise along the track from B to A between the cyclists when time is = 1 sec. What is the magnitude of the acceleration of each cyclist at the instant?

To find the length of an arc, you use the equation arc=theta*radius, but how do you encorporate the time into this? I don't know how far cyclist A moves.

To find the magnitude of acceleration you can use the sqrt of a(normal)^2 + a(tangential)^2.

aB =1.28 ft/sec^2

because a(tangential)=0 (constant velocity) and a(normal)=64/50

I don't know what aA is equal to.

Any suggestions?

I posted a picture too.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 24, 2004
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 25, 2004 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

First find the distance between A & B at time t=0 (the instant shown). Then find out how far each moves in the next second. If it wasn't for that fact that A is accelerating, they would move the same distance, thus maintaining the same separation. But A gains some distance over B: ΔX = 1/2at2.

Also, A gains some speed: ΔV = at.
  4. Jan 25, 2004 #3
    at time t=0 the distance between them is 104.72ft

B moves 8ft in the next second because it is constant

but i still don't get how far A moves.

and how do I use deltaX and deltaV
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2004
  5. Jan 25, 2004 #4

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

You need to understand the basic formulas for uniform accelerated motion. One key relation is [itex]d = v_0t + \frac{1}{2}at^2[/itex], which describes the distance traveled in time t. ([itex]v_0[/itex] is the initial speed.) Another useful formula gives the speed after time t: [itex]v = v_0 + at[/itex]. You will need both of these to understand how "A" moves.

B is just moving at a constant speed (tangential acceleration = 0). I believe you understand that, but note that the above equations apply if you set a=0. (Please try this!)

Of course, the above only applies to the tangential motion. To find the full acceleration, you must add the centripetal acceleration.

Note: Δ just means "change"; ΔX means change in x.
  6. Jan 25, 2004 #5

I got the final answers.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?