Calculating Distance and Acceleration in Circular Motion of Two Cyclists

In summary, two cyclists A and B are traveling counterclockwise around a circular track at a constant speed of 8 ft/sec. The distance between them at t=0 is 104.72ft. A is accelerating at a rate of SA ft/sec^2. To find the distance between A and B at t=1 sec, you can use the formula ΔX = 1/2at^2. To find the magnitude of acceleration, you can use the formula sqrt(a(normal)^2 + a(tangential)^2). B moves 8ft in the second second, while A moves a greater distance due to its acceleration. By using the formulas for uniform accelerated motion, you can find the distance and
jjiimmyy101
Two cyclists A and B, are traveling counterclockwise around a circular track at a constant speed of 8 ft/sec at the instant shown. If the speed of A is increased at aA = SA ft/sec^2, where SA is in ft, determine the distance measured counterclockwise along the track from B to A between the cyclists when time is = 1 sec. What is the magnitude of the acceleration of each cyclist at the instant?

To find the length of an arc, you use the equation arc=theta*radius, but how do you encorporate the time into this? I don't know how far cyclist A moves.

To find the magnitude of acceleration you can use the sqrt of a(normal)^2 + a(tangential)^2.

aB =1.28 ft/sec^2

because a(tangential)=0 (constant velocity) and a(normal)=64/50

I don't know what aA is equal to.

Any suggestions?

I posted a picture too.

Attachments

• circ.gif
    circ.gif
    2.9 KB · Views: 740
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by jjiimmyy101
To find the length of an arc, you use the equation arc=theta*radius, but how do you encorporate the time into this? I don't know how far cyclist A moves.
First find the distance between A & B at time t=0 (the instant shown). Then find out how far each moves in the next second. If it wasn't for that fact that A is accelerating, they would move the same distance, thus maintaining the same separation. But A gains some distance over B: ΔX = 1/2at2.

Also, A gains some speed: ΔV = at.

at time t=0 the distance between them is 104.72ft

B moves 8ft in the next second because it is constant

but i still don't get how far A moves.

and how do I use deltaX and deltaV

Last edited:
You need to understand the basic formulas for uniform accelerated motion. One key relation is [itex]d = v_0t + \frac{1}{2}at^2[/itex], which describes the distance traveled in time t. ([itex]v_0[/itex] is the initial speed.) Another useful formula gives the speed after time t: [itex]v = v_0 + at[/itex]. You will need both of these to understand how "A" moves.

B is just moving at a constant speed (tangential acceleration = 0). I believe you understand that, but note that the above equations apply if you set a=0. (Please try this!)

Of course, the above only applies to the tangential motion. To find the full acceleration, you must add the centripetal acceleration.

Note: Δ just means "change"; ΔX means change in x.

Thanks!

I got the final answers.

Thank-you.

Related to Calculating Distance and Acceleration in Circular Motion of Two Cyclists

1. What is circular motion?

Circular motion is the movement of an object along a circular path. It follows a constant radius and has a constant speed, but the direction of the object's velocity is constantly changing as it moves around the circle.

2. How do two bikes move in a circular motion?

Two bikes can move in a circular motion by turning their handlebars and leaning into the turn. This causes the bikes to follow a curved path, creating circular motion.

3. What is the centripetal force in the circular motion of two bikes?

The centripetal force in the circular motion of two bikes is the force that keeps the bikes moving along their circular path. It is directed towards the center of the circle and is equal to the mass of the bike multiplied by its centripetal acceleration.

4. What factors affect the circular motion of two bikes?

The factors that affect the circular motion of two bikes include the speed at which they are moving, the radius of the circular path, and the mass of the bikes. These factors can change the amount of centripetal force required to keep the bikes moving in a circle.

5. How does circular motion of two bikes relate to real-world applications?

Circular motion of two bikes can be seen in real-world applications such as bike racing or cornering on a motorcycle. It is also used in amusement park rides, like the carousel, which rotates around a central axis. Understanding circular motion is important in designing and analyzing these types of movements.