Circular Motion with a hydrogen atom

In summary, the conversation revolves around finding the central force acting on an electron in a circular orbit in the Bohr model of the hydrogen atom. The correct equation for this is Fc=m*v^2/R, where m is the mass of the electron, v is its speed, and R is the radius of the orbit. The correct value for the mass of an electron is 9.109e-31 kg. Using this value, the central force is calculated to be 1.39e-4 N.
all_relative

Homework Statement

In the Bohr model of the hydrogen atom, the speed of the electron is approximately 2.01e6 m/s.
Find the central force acting on the electron as it revolves in a circular orbit of radius 4.84e-11 m.
Answer in units of N.

Homework Equations

Fc=m*v^2/R

The Attempt at a Solution

I said that the mass was 1.674e-27 kg. If i should use another number, please let me know.

Fc=m*v^2/R
Fc=(1.674e-27)*(2.01e6)^2/(4.84e-11)
Fc=1.39e-4

When I submit this answer to UTexas (an online HW service) it says that I am wrong. I have done this problem several times and keep getting the same thing.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
all_relative said:

Homework Statement

In the Bohr model of the hydrogen atom, the speed of the electron is approximately 2.01e6 m/s.
Find the central force acting on the electron as it revolves in a circular orbit of radius 4.84e-11 m.
Answer in units of N.

Homework Equations

Fc=m*v^2/R

The Attempt at a Solution

I said that the mass was 1.674e-27 kg. If i should use another number, please let me know.

Fc=m*v^2/R
Fc=(1.674e-27)*(2.01e6)^2/(4.84e-11)
Fc=1.39e-4

When I submit this answer to UTexas (an online HW service) it says that I am wrong. I have done this problem several times and keep getting the same thing.

Thanks!

You are not using the right value for the mass.

hage567 said:
You are not using the right value for the mass.

What is the correct value for the mass?
I looked it up on Google and that is what I found.

Thanks.

You are looking for the mass of an electron. Is that what you googled?

1. What is circular motion with a hydrogen atom?

Circular motion with a hydrogen atom refers to the movement of the electron around the nucleus of a hydrogen atom. This motion is caused by the attractive force between the positively charged nucleus and the negatively charged electron.

2. What is the centripetal force in circular motion with a hydrogen atom?

The centripetal force in circular motion with a hydrogen atom is the force that keeps the electron moving in a circular path. It is equal to the electrostatic force between the electron and the nucleus, and it is directed towards the center of the circular path.

3. How does the radius of the electron's orbit affect circular motion with a hydrogen atom?

The radius of the electron's orbit affects the speed and energy of the electron. A larger radius means the electron is moving at a slower speed and has a lower energy, while a smaller radius means the electron is moving faster and has a higher energy.

4. What is the relationship between circular motion and energy levels in a hydrogen atom?

Circular motion and energy levels in a hydrogen atom are closely related. The different energy levels of the electron correspond to different orbits with different radii. This means that the energy of the electron is directly related to its circular motion around the nucleus.

5. How does the principle of quantization apply to circular motion with a hydrogen atom?

The principle of quantization states that the energy of an electron in an atom is restricted to certain discrete values. In circular motion with a hydrogen atom, this means that the electron can only occupy specific energy levels and can only move in specific orbits with certain radii. This is why the electron's energy and motion are quantized in a hydrogen atom.