Circular motion with no frictional force

In summary, the conversation discusses the task given by a teacher to find a formula for circular motion without frictional force and the challenges faced by the students in solving it. The teacher's intention is to make the students think and the conversation also touches upon the teaching methods and the lack of prior practice. The conversation ends with a potential solution to the task.
lucas1
I need a formula for an angle with which there is no frictional force during circular motion. No data. No hint.

My teacher gave us such task on the latest test. She said that it is easy we just need to think. Nobody solved it. I don't know now if we are such fools or she is a poor teacher that gives exercises on tests without prior solving similar ones. To improve YOUR mood: she teaches on IB Diploma and she hasn't said anything this year in English and she spelled frictional force on test: "ficktional". Also we do mainly theory on lessons while tests are only tough exercises. Nevertheless any ideas? Is it commonly used formula? Can You show how to get to it?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your teacher is not silly!
She has asked a very perceptive question.
I think that she is asking about 'banked' tracks where car, bob sleighs etc can follow a curved path without relying on friction.
I think she wants you to look at vertical and horizontal forces on a banked track and show that it is not necessary to have friction!
Hope this helps...if you still have problems come back

1. What is circular motion with no frictional force?

Circular motion with no frictional force refers to an object moving in a circular path without any resistance from friction. This means that the object is not slowed down or stopped by any opposing force, allowing it to continue moving in a circular path indefinitely.

2. How is circular motion with no frictional force possible?

Circular motion with no frictional force is possible when an object is moving in a vacuum or in a perfect environment with no friction. In this scenario, there are no opposing forces acting on the object, allowing it to maintain its circular motion without any resistance.

3. What are some real-life examples of circular motion with no frictional force?

Some examples of circular motion with no frictional force include planets orbiting around the sun, electrons moving around the nucleus of an atom, and satellites in space. All of these objects are moving in a circular path without any resistance from friction.

4. How does circular motion with no frictional force affect the speed of an object?

Circular motion with no frictional force does not affect the speed of an object, as there is no force acting to slow it down. This means that the object will maintain a constant speed while moving in a circular path, unless acted upon by an external force.

5. What are the implications of circular motion with no frictional force in physics?

Circular motion with no frictional force has significant implications in physics, as it allows us to understand and predict the motion of objects in ideal conditions. It also helps us to understand the concept of inertia, as an object in circular motion without friction will continue to move at a constant speed in a straight line if no force is acting on it.