Circular motion with respect to south pole

In summary: You'll find the acceleration is always towards O, but the magnitude depends on where P is on the circle, and the angle between OP and the tangent at P.Then use Newton's second law in component form to find the force.Then, if you want, you can use the energy method to find the period.In summary, we are asked to find the force and period of a circular motion with the center at the south pole, labeled "O", and a point, labeled "A", moving on the circle with a velocity of v_0. The radius of the circle is R. The force that keeps the point on the circular motion is always pointed towards "O". To find the force, we can use Newton's second
duxy

Homework Statement

The south pole of the circular motion is labeled "O" and it's the center of the xOy axes. The point leaves "O" to the right increasing it's positional vector([tex]\bar{}r[/tex]) dimension and the [tex]\alpha[/tex] angle (the angle is between the positional vector and the Ox axis). The force that keeps the material point on the circular motion is always pointed towards "O". The north pole is labeled "A" and at that specific point the velocity is v[tex]_{}0[/tex]. The radius of the circle is R. Find the force F and the period T.

Homework Equations

r=r([tex]\alpha[/tex])
F=ma
v(subscript-alpha)=r(first derivative of alpha)
r^2*(first derivative of alpha)=c

The Attempt at a Solution

If the centripetal force applies i think F=-m(c^2/r^4)r([tex]\alpha[/tex])
If i know the force i can compute the T as T=-(2*pi*m*[tex]\vec{}r[/tex])/F
Can someone please explain if this is right and if not i am open to suggestions :) Thanks
Sorry for not using the subscripts, but the preview looked kinda weird.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi duxy! Welcome to PF! :smile:

(what is c? and where does your r4 come from? :confused:)

Can I check that I understand the question correctly?

An object moves under no constraint (and no gravity), but subject to a force always directed towards O: find how the force depends on position P if the body moves in a circle through O.

Is that correct?

If so, then good ol' Newton's second law means that the component of acceleration perpendicular to OP must always be zero.

Hint: find the radial and tangential acceleration relative to the centre of the circle (because that's fairly easy! :wink:), and from that find the components along and perpendicular to OP. :smile:

Hey, thanks for the reply and the welcome. About that c it's supposed to be a constant i haven't really figured it out yet. About Newton's second law, the component of acceleration perpendicular to OP is always zero when O is the center and P is a point on the circle, in that case the radial acceleration is always perpendicular on the linear velocity, but if O is at the south point of the circle the tangent line that goes through P is not perpendicular to OP anymore(i think).

On the other hand i guess that when P is a 2R distance away from O the acceleration components have the same value and direction.

Are you implying to find the components along and perpendicular to OP geometrically or is there some kind of connection between them in this particular case?

Thank you

duxy said:
… in that case the radial acceleration is always perpendicular on the linear velocity, but if O is at the south point of the circle the tangent line that goes through P is not perpendicular to OP anymore(i think).

Sorry, I don't follow any of that. :confused:

First use geometry to find the acceleration.

Use the centre of the circle as I suggested.

1. What is circular motion with respect to the south pole?

Circular motion with respect to the south pole refers to an object moving in a circular path around the south pole of the Earth. This type of motion is caused by the rotation of the Earth on its axis, which creates a centrifugal force that pulls objects towards the equator.

2. How is circular motion with respect to the south pole different from circular motion with respect to the north pole?

The main difference between circular motion with respect to the south pole and the north pole is the direction of rotation. While circular motion with respect to the south pole is counterclockwise, circular motion with respect to the north pole is clockwise due to the direction of the Earth's rotation.

3. What factors affect the speed of circular motion with respect to the south pole?

The speed of circular motion with respect to the south pole is influenced by the radius of the circular path, the mass of the object, and the force of gravity. The larger the radius, the slower the speed, while the greater the mass and force of gravity, the faster the speed.

4. Can an object in circular motion with respect to the south pole ever come to a stop?

No, an object in circular motion with respect to the south pole will continue to move in a circular path as long as the Earth continues to rotate. However, the speed of the object may decrease or increase depending on the factors mentioned in the previous question.

5. How is circular motion with respect to the south pole useful in real-life applications?

Circular motion with respect to the south pole is used in many real-life applications, such as satellite orbits, aircraft navigation, and ocean currents. It also helps us understand the effects of the Earth's rotation on weather patterns and ocean tides.