What is the maximum area of the circular sector with a perimeter of 12 cm?

• MHB
  • Thread starter mathdad
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Circular
In summary, the given picture shows a circular sector with radius r cm and central angle θ (radian measure). The perimeter of the sector is 12 cm.
mathdad
The given picture shows a circular sector with radius r cm and central angle θ (radian measure). The perimeter of the sector is 12 cm.

1. Express the area A of the sector as a function of θ. Is this a quadratic function?

2. Express the area A of the sector as a function of r. Is this a quadratic function?

3. For which value of r is the area A a maximum? What is the corressponding value of θ in this case?

Part 1

I know the area of the sector formula is A = (1/2) r^2 θ.

I simply thought the answer must be A(θ) = (1/2) r^2 θ but then I said no because the radius square should not be as part of the answer. The question is asking to express the area A of the sector as a function of theta not a function of r and θ.

The book's answer is A(θ) = (72 θ)/(2 + θ)^2. Of course, this is not a quadratic function. Where did this fraction come from? Where did 72 and 6 come from?

Part 2

Again, I quickly jumped to conclusion since I know the area of a sector formula to be A = (1/2) r^2 θ.

I said, ok, the answer must be A(r) = (1/2) r^2 θ. There it is. It is written in terms of r. I am wrong, of course. You see, θ should not be part of the answer if we must express the area A as a function of r not a function of r and θ.

The book's answer is A(r) = 6r - r^2. I recognize this to be a quadratic function. Where did 6 come from?

Part 3

I need the steps for Part 3 that will guide me to the answer. Can someone provide me with the steps?

View attachment 7911

Attachments

• sDraw_2018-03-07_02-30-49.png
    sDraw_2018-03-07_02-30-49.png
    6.5 KB · Views: 57
Mathematics news on Phys.org
We know the perimeter $P$ is:

\(\displaystyle P=2r+r\theta=(2+\theta)r\tag{1}\)

The area is:

\(\displaystyle A=\frac{1}{2}r^2\theta\tag{2}\)

(1) gives is a way to relate $r$ and $\theta$. So:

1.) solve (1) for $r$, and substitute for $r$ into (2) to get $A(\theta)$. Now, you will also have the parameter $P$ present, but it has been given, so you can just plug that in once you get the formula. What do you get?

2.) solve (1) for $\theta$, and substitute for $\theta$ into (2) to get $A(r)$. Now, as before, you will also have the parameter $P$ present, but it has been given, so you can just plug that in once you get the formula. What do you get?

You say solve 1 for r and plug for r into 2.
Then you said to solve 1 for theta and plug for theta into 2.

Do you mean that 1 here represents the perimeter of the sector formula and 2 the area of the sector formula?

If so, I will try later tonight after work.

What is a circular sector?

A circular sector is a portion of a circle enclosed by two radii and an arc. It is similar to a slice of pie or a pizza slice.

How do you calculate the area of a circular sector?

The formula for calculating the area of a circular sector is (θ/360) x π x r², where θ is the central angle of the sector and r is the radius of the circle. This formula is based on the proportion of the sector's central angle to the entire circle's central angle and the area of the entire circle.

What is the relationship between a circular sector and a circle?

A circular sector is a part of a circle, just like how a square is a part of a rectangle. The sector's area is a fraction of the area of the entire circle, and the sector's central angle is a fraction of the circle's central angle.

How can circular sectors be used in real life?

Circular sectors have many practical applications, such as in engineering, architecture, and navigation. They can be used to determine the area of a sector of land, the angle of a ship's turn, or the shape of a roof.

What is the difference between a circular sector and a semicircle?

A circular sector is a portion of a circle with an angle less than 180 degrees, while a semicircle is exactly half of a circle with a 180-degree central angle. The area of a semicircle is half the area of a circular sector with the same radius, but the perimeter of a semicircle is longer.